Duke Nukem 3D XP problems

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
Nuked

Post by Nuked »

I used to play this game without problems (PC 2.4Ghz, XP). Now when I try to move, turn, whatever, the movements are not smooth. For example if I hit the keyboard left arrow say 5 times to swing left there is a delay, then the 5 turns all happen at once. Same if I move forward. There is no immediate response, the movements are delayed. I now find this is true of other DOS games, even small ones like Lemmings. Any ideas?
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Hmmm, Windows XP been updated? Probably screwed up your AUTOEXEC.NT and/or your CONFIG.NT , happens sometimes, MS knows why, I don't.
Maybe even some *.DLLs or sounddrivers, graphicdrivers, whatevers, can be altered.
You could try to repair your AUTOEXEC.NT and/or your CONFIG.NT in %\system32\.
http://www.dosgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2565
Scroll the whole way down, last post by Wally.

But:
XP was never meant to play dosgames directly in it, even if it has -very- basic dossupport.

A better idea and one I would advise you is to install dosbox 0.71.
Your PC seems beefy enough to run it. (RAM ????)
Runs Duke3D now and a whole bunch of other demanding dosgames.
The dosgames will get full soundsupport(SB)-joystick-mouse support they need through dosbox.

*Edit
For Duke3D you also could use a windows port.
One of them:
http://www.jonof.id.au/index.php?p=jfduke3d
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

Actually, I'd say you stick with DOSBox, since that autoconf.zip Wally posted ends up in a 404 error!
<center>
abyss wrote:I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Oh, 404, was ok last year LOL.
Now yeah, if he wants to try to repair the AUTOEXEC.NT:
Put your XP install CD in, open 'RUN' and input:
expand X:\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt

The X is the CDDrive.
Won't count on it too much anyway, several *.DLL seems to be 'updated'. :/
Have a list somewhere .... somewhere .
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Nuked

Post by Nuked »

Firstly thanks for the replies/ideas. I will try out some of them at the weekend, although as you suggest DOSBox might be the solution. I did try reinstalling XP, with wiping the C drive, but it didn't help. In fact the version of the autoexec.NT is still from 2002 (the original), although the config.NT has changed since. And yes, updates have been applied (SP2, security patches mainly). What disturbed me was the 'worked one day, not the next'. I couldn't identify anything that might have influenced it.
abyss
Moloral Compass
Moloral Compass

Post by abyss »

I would just use dosbox.
<i>Formerly known as Hulk Hogan.</i>
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

There is an interesting article about dos support in XP@MS tech:
Troubleshooting MS-DOS-based programs in Windows XP.
Gives you at least an idea what's needed to have basic dos support in a NT environment .(... and where it can go wrong.)

Remember this fact: Dos support in a NT based OS is meant to be used by systoolprogs- recovery progs- and so on, never meant to be used for gaming support.