IP Ban - Possible?

Forum for all the suggestions that have 1. nothing to do with our two websites (Dosgames.com/ DosGamesArchive) and 2. are not bug reports.
dr_st
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

IP Ban - Possible?

Post by dr_st »

I was wondering whether this forum software supports IP bans. If so, does it work on guests? If so, then perhaps it can be used to stop killermew100's recent attack on the "Game hints" forum, as a guest this time, provided of course that he's not using some sort of AOL or whatever that is impossible to IP ban, because too many other users may share it.
Dosser
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Dosser »

I assume it is possible to IP-ban, many other forums support it.

Otherwise perhaps his boast that he can't be banned as a guest is accurate: However I'm pretty sure that an admin can do it.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Yes... and no. For instance, I could IP ban you (or any other normal member) because you have a relatively static IP adress. The problem is, most spammers use a proxy IP masker and the likes to generate random, false IP addresses making it impossible to ban them.

If they get really out of control, though, it is possible to track them down (essentially, putting together multiple IPs with the time the posts were made, writing a couple of e-mails, and hopefully getting the guy kicked off the internet by his ISP) but it doesn't really seem worth the trouble, at the moment.
Dosser
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Dosser »

Stares at the hypnotic spiderman for a while....

So in this specific case (killermew) is it possible to it easily?