Forum Overhaul

Forum for all the suggestions that have 1. nothing to do with our two websites (Dosgames.com/ DosGamesArchive) and 2. are not bug reports.

Do you think the forum should be overhauled?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:03 pm

Yes
64%
No
36%

Total votes: 14

Kazer0
<i>Mercenary Dishwasher</i>

Post by Kazer0 »

subforum mods = bad. Too complex, harder to mod, eyesore, harder to find things you need, hour long installation process. Besides... isnt the pointhere that there isn't enough activity? Making subforums would increase the number of posting places, and all of them would be just as dead.

Vote 'no' on proposition 1 (subforums)
Amro
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Amro »

You killed the forums when you killed the Games forum. That was fun, kinda. I dunno why you took it off...
nastypoisonspikes
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by nastypoisonspikes »

Wally*Won_Kenobie wrote:The majority of votes matters, no matter what any administrator says (Excepting Emmzee of course!)

BTW JMS and I havent voted yet and we would add 2 votes to yes on count

What what what what what? We're not deleting the entire forum. I'll bitch and moan forever if we do, so we obviously can't.
Amro
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Amro »

Instead of deleting the entire forum, you could delete all the guest crap. I suggest you think about that one when you're bored.
Da_Goat
Location: Prescott, Arizona, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe, Nothing and Nowhere.

Post by Da_Goat »

I agree with Joris.

I also agree with DB, in that I don't know how restarting the forum would help any. What, we delete the forum, install a new one, and that would stop all of the people that annoy us from registering again? No. If anything, it would open an opportunity for those that are banned, such as WFH, to join again.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Amro wrote:Instead of deleting the entire forum, you could delete all the guest crap. I suggest you think about that one when you're bored.
Meh, I deleted about 40 guest spam posts yesterday and the day before... technically, that's mainly supposed to be the job of JTA/Wardrich/Bobo, but none of them seem to be willing to do it, so I'm a bit behind in doing their work for them. Sorry about those.
Da_Goat
Location: Prescott, Arizona, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe, Nothing and Nowhere.

Post by Da_Goat »

Man, the forum's doing that thing again. I had to post reply to read your post in the topic review, DB.
Amro
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Amro »

...another reason to upgrade the boards.

By the way, what happened to the Games Forum?
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

I never thought of that Da_Goat..

Maybe just an upgrade and a few tweeks would be better than an overhaul...

Annd a massive clean up of course :)
Homz
Expert
Expert

Post by Homz »

Many apologies for the eons-late reply, but I figured late was better than nothing, and everyone here, especially wally, who took time to email the others and I, deserve a bit of an explanation, I suppose.

I left this forum simply because I didn't have the time to maintain a very consistent connection, and my personal interests had strayed more towards z2. It's still a great place, and I've thought of coming on every so often, but haven't really found time to do, though I hope to in the future. Unfortunately, certain events have conspired to pretty much rob me of internet access at home, and so the only time I really can access the internet is at the library, as I am now.

I think that should explain everything pretty well.

Thanks, and sorry for reviving a long dead topic.
"You believe me," I said gratefully.
"Of course I do," and he held out his hand. "I believe everything out of the common. The only thing to distrust is the normal."

The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan,
Chapter III
Do you like medieval fighting games or RPG's?
Click aici.
dr_st
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by dr_st »

Here's what I think:

A big conclusive NO to deleting the entire forums. Like was said - that's too much valuable information.

Guest posts should be disabled. I know that we've reached sort of an agreement in that other thread I started a while back that there is point in enabling them, but without them the forums would be MUCH neater and easier to take care of, even if they are only enabled in a small subset of the forums - it's those forums where most of the action takes place.

If one is afraid of ending up with 1000s of users with 1 post, then perhaps something can be arranged, like removing accounts with less than X posts after Y days (weeks/months) of inactivity. That is, if these accounts are a major burden on the database - which I'm not even sure is true.

Be more strict where should be. Discourage users from spamming or flooding (another reason to disable guest accounts - you have no control over them). I completely agree that it's better to have a small quality forum than a forum where 1000 posts are made every day, 900 of which are dumb smiley filled one-liners or "plz help I'm aladdin need cheat codes" (especially when cheat codes were already given two posts above you).

Another suggestion that I saw a while back (was mostly ignored), but I need to demonstrate my opinion on it - NO LIMITATIONS OF ANY KIND ON NEW USERS! Everyone can start a thread, in any forum (where public access is given). Everyone can post and reply as often as he wants. One of the reasons I think the GameFAQs forums are the worst place on the planet is because they have these dumb limits that basically prevent you from posting anything useful until you reach some stupid "rank".

That's what I can think of right now.
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

good to see you back homz :)
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

FWIW, guest posting is now OFF for all forums except Find Old Games, Get Games to Work and Game Help. :)
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament