Suggestion thread for "FORGOT THE NAME OF A GAME"

Forum for all the suggestions that have 1. nothing to do with our two websites (Dosgames.com/ DosGamesArchive) and 2. are not bug reports.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Suggestion thread for "FORGOT THE NAME OF A GAME"

Post by Quadko »

This thread is for suggestions and discussion about improving the guidelines in this locked sticky thread in Find Old Games:
FORGOT THE NAME OF A GAME? HERE'S WHAT YOU CAN DO.

So, what can we do and recommend to help people, especially first time posters, ask their questions and "help us help them" by including information? Specifically, what should we add or change in the above thread to help that goal and to encourage guests to read it?
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

God, Jesus Christ, is number one!hehe

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Jesus Christ!hehe

I think people want a one-to-one help instead of just general help guidelines. When I search for something I want people's honest opinion. Whether I take their opinion is up to me however I like to know my options.

For instance, there are maybe more than 5 billion people on this planet. According to my download statistics, if I am lucky "maybe" I have reached my two-thousand to three-thousand download mark to date. This is nothing compared to the 5 billions out there.

I want to talk to a live person instead of a robot such as a search engine. So if someone did a search for me or made a game for me or something, I would always remember that person as my friend. So if that person needed something in the future I would be more open to doing that person a favor instead of a stranger who I never knew.

After all, searching an engine is boring.

Now don't get me wrong. Some people are book fans, and search engine fans. I know I could not have done most of my work without these search engines like "Google". In fact, I do 99% of my searches on "Google" and usually if not always find what I am looking for. However I know what I am looking for.

In conclusion, I believe you just have to be specific with each request. I personally see only a handful of helpful people on here. I know because I read almost every "new" posts. I do not really care what the title is as long as it is something new. That is the nice thing about being a member of a small community. I see there are only like 3000 official users to date or more so far.
God, Jesus Christ, is number one!hehe
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Then please bless my mom.
Honour to my mom Huong Thi Vu
Honour to my dad Thuy Binh Nguyen
Love to cousin Carl Anh Cuong Cao Vu
Thank you Jesus Christ.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

1. Can we put links in the warning message we show when posting to Find Old Games?

For example, it's currently this:
WARNING: Please do NOT post your email address or other contact info here, if you do you will NOT receive a reply. This is not a call-back service, please come back later to read replies to your post.
Could we make it this?
WARNING: Please do NOT post your email address or other contact info here, if you do you will NOT receive a reply. This is not a call-back service, please come back later to read replies to your post. Read the How to Find Old Games for the information we need to help you.
2. In the section "3. Use other databases and wikis", include the Google Image Search trick
Go to images.google.com
Search for keywords like:
* DOS Screenshot CGA
* Windows Screenshot tank battle 2D

Try some different keywords, whatever you remember about the game. Words like "Screenshot" and "Game" and "Dos" sometimes helps filter down to useful game lists.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Re: God, Great Googly Moogly, is number one!hehe

Post by MrFlibble »

tienkhoanguyen wrote:I think people want a one-to-one help instead of just general help guidelines.
They sure do, but sometimes people ask for a game that is not known to the other users. In this case, you have to employ some search methods, and using databases and various searches really does help a lot to identify a game.

Also some people may prefer doing some search on their own, rather than just wait for a reply.
Quadko wrote:1. Can we put links in the warning message we show when posting to Find Old Games?

For example, it's currently this:
WARNING: Please do NOT post your email address or other contact info here, if you do you will NOT receive a reply. This is not a call-back service, please come back later to read replies to your post.
Could we make it this?
WARNING: Please do NOT post your email address or other contact info here, if you do you will NOT receive a reply. This is not a call-back service, please come back later to read replies to your post. Read the How to Find Old Games for the information we need to help you.
I have forwarded this to the admins, hopefully the header will be updated soon.
Quadko wrote:2. In the section "3. Use other databases and wikis", include the Google Image Search trick
Go to images.google.com
Search for keywords like:
* DOS Screenshot CGA
* Windows Screenshot tank battle 2D

Try some different keywords, whatever you remember about the game. Words like "Screenshot" and "Game" and "Dos" sometimes helps filter down to useful game lists.
Added that, thanks a lot (also you're properly credited for this suggestion now :)). I also added a suggestion to use GameDipper, an experimental engine that finds similar games by keyword analysis.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Cool, I hadn't heard of GameDipper, I'll have to check that out more deeply.

I never turn credit down, but I'm not looking for it either, so thanks! and no worries. :laugh:
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Ok, thinking we need to require a copy of a birth certificate in the new member sign up page given the insistence people have with telling us their age when they played some remembered game. Sheesh.

Kidding, of course, but :rolleyes:
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

Makes sense now help me find my Android game.