2D fantasy / sci-fi side-scroller [Alien Logic: SkyRealms of Jorune]

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
meridianson

Post by meridianson »

OK so, I forgot the name of this game, but from what I remember:

Things I'm sure of:
1. It was a 2D side-scroller with fantasy and sci-fi elements.
2. It had a map screen component.
3. You played what could be considered a generic human male.
4. There were brown colored anthropomorphic cats and gray colored bipedal alien looking things.
5. both Species, the alien-adjacent and Cat people, were usually among the hostiles and had access to some kind of magic or psionic power. (Some of these enemies, when provoked, could shoot balls of power at you out of their hands and kill you.)
6. Most Sprites representing people were as tall as about 1/2 the height of the play screen.
7. There were towns and dungeon areas.
8. Towns were where you can typically speak to most people, which brings up a portrait with that person and your dialogue (with options, if any).
9. The dungeons were areas with brick tiles, dark backgrounds, and enemies patrolling.
10. The Cat-People had a tribe and tribal leader, and one very specific verbal interaction with a tribal leader could end up with you dead if you answered wrong.
11. People could give you quests and directions.

Things I'm UNSURE about (FYI: * = More sure about this than the other stuff):
1. It was either on DOS or Windows 95/98.*
2. There were other races to speak of, but I don't know how to describe them. They weren't memorable.*
3. ...MAYBE there was a large Alien looking Monster/weapon that looks like a cross between a grey Xenomorph and that large bipedal machine from Robocop. MAYBE.
4. I think the aliens had armor that made them look a little like Vegeta from Dragon Ball Z, but maybe not.
5. I believe your character could gain skills, powers and weapons, but you start off very weak with almost nothing, so it may have had RPG elements.
6. I think the guy you played had typical modern dress: Jeans and a white shirt. Seemed like he didn't fit with the fantasy world he was in. (Short hair, either Blonde or Red I think)*
7. I got my first computer around the early 90's, so this game was from around that 90's era.
8. Best guess for Genre is either Action-Adventure, Adventure, or Action-RPG.*
9. May have been puzzles to solve in the dungeons. (NOT 100% ON THAT)
10. Not sure about the objectives, but I think your character was trying to find a way home, because he was clearly out of his depth. (Might have been a spaceship involved, NOT 100% ON THAT)
11. I think smaller version of your sprite showed up on the map screen. Also, strongly believe it took time to traverse the map.*

That's as much as I can remember. If anyone has an idea of what this game is or where I could find it, please let me know, and link me any pictures for confirmation if you can. Thanks again!
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

2D fantasy / sci-fi side-scroller

Post by MrFlibble »

meridianson wrote:
3. You played what could be considered a generic human male.
4. There were brown colored anthropomorphic cats and gray colored bipedal alien looking things.
5. both Species, the alien-adjacent and Cat people, were usually among the hostiles and had access to some kind of magic or psionic power. (Some of these enemies, when provoked, could shoot balls of power at you out of their hands and kill you.)
6. Most Sprites representing people were as tall as about 1/2 the height of the play screen.
7. There were towns and dungeon areas.
8. Towns were where you can typically speak to most people, which brings up a portrait with that person and your dialogue (with options, if any).
9. The dungeons were areas with brick tiles, dark backgrounds, and enemies patrolling.
10. The Cat-People had a tribe and tribal leader, and one very specific verbal interaction with a tribal leader could end up with you dead if you answered wrong.
11. People could give you quests and directions.
Sounds like it could be Blye Byte's Albion, but that's mostly an RPG with an overhead view:
meridianson

Post by meridianson »

not quite, but that does look good. I'll check it out.
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by 486 player »

Alien Logic: SkyRealms of Jorune?
NO Windows, NO DOSBox, DOS!
meridianson

Post by meridianson »

*Looks up Skyrealms of Jorune*

...Oh. My. GOD!😲
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!
I Can't believe I forgot this! Much appreciated!
meridianson

Post by meridianson »

Thanks Flibble!
This game used to kill me so fast, it was funny! (in hindsight anyway...)
meridianson

Post by meridianson »

Great! Downloaded it and IT RUNS!

Now I just need to learn how to play the blasted thing WELL...Cat people keep killing me.