Awesome 1990s Space Shooter on MS-Dos [Xenon 2 MegaBlast]

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
Zambol86

Post by Zambol86 »

I am looking for a Space Shooter type game I used to play on an old 386 on MS-DOS. Similar to the attached picture .

You controlled a space ship from the top view while different space ship enemies emerged from the sides and opposite from you.
As far as I recall the game only took place in space and the scenery kept scrolling forward slowly while you were able to maneuver the ship forward-backward, left or right.

The game was probably published between 1990 to 1995. I played it on MS-DOS but it certainly was available on other platforms as well.
One of the main features of the game was that at time mechanical-type-worms emerged out of corners of walls shooting at your or damaging your ship by colliding with it. You had different weapon upgrades and there were level stages. The colors were probably in the 256 color range.

Summary

Space Ship Shooter scroller game
Platform: MS-DOS + others
Year: ~1990 to ~1995
Colors: 256~
Features: Different Mechanical Worms as enemies
Attachments
Looked similar to this but colors were obviously much much simpler.
Looked similar to this but colors were obviously much much simpler.
Capture.PNG (158.4 KiB) Viewed 1744 times
Swiftcutter
Expert
Expert

Awesome 1990s Space Shooter on MS-Dos

Post by Swiftcutter »

Try...
Overkill
Raptor
Tyrian
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Vertical-scrolling shmups are a pretty prolific genre with many games, some not very well documented. As a random guess, maybe look at Overkill?

There's a MobyGames group for scrolling shmups but you can't filter it by platform:
https://www.mobygames.com/game-group/ge ... t,0/so,1a/
EDGamer6286

Post by EDGamer6286 »

I'll guess Xenon or Xenon 2 MegaBlast?
Zambol86

Post by Zambol86 »

Raptor or Tyrian are definitely not it.

I dont think Overkill is it either because I am missing the distinctive Worms that come out of the corners, they were definitely there and I have not seen them in any level. However Overkill comes closest to the game I remember playing.
The colors and gameplay are very similar but I remember the graphics were slightly better and gameplay was a little more polished over all, maybe I played a sequel or cheap knockoff of the original? Maybe there are Asian/Japanese derivates of that game?

Also, Overkill is incredibly difficult, even on easy, but the game I played was of moderate difficulty and not too challenging, even for a total noob like me.
Zambol86

Post by Zambol86 »

EDGamer6286 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:01 pm I'll guess Xenon or Xenon 2 MegaBlast?
OMG it is INDEED Xenon 2 MegaBlast. As soon as I googled it I knew it was the game. I am going to have lots of fun replaying and finally beating one of my fav childhood games. Thanks so much guys! :bday: