Searching for this old JRPG style RPG on DOS

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
bg_Zero

Searching for this old JRPG style RPG on DOS

Post by bg_Zero »

So im searching for this old RPG that i played as a freeware from a game magazine CD. It was a long time ago probably around 2000 but the game must be older. What i remember was that it was similar to a JRPG. You have your party , there is an overworld view (top down bird eye) and combat view. The combat is like in final fantasy your team is on one side of the screen and the enemy on the other and you take turns. Unlike FF this game had "more realistic" depiciton of the characters and when they take dmg they will become covered in blood and bruised. If they die the corpses stay on the combat screen untill you revive them. You watch your charactes from the side - profile like. I remember you start in a castle of some sort i think the rooms were made from red bricks. You character was some blonde dude can't remember his name or who he was. After a while you get other characters to join you. I remember that you can get a water wizard ( a creature with blue robes and i think he had green dreadlocks or maybe snakes for hair it was very pixelated so you had to use your imagination) , you can get a red devil creature and some other humans thats all the characters i remmember. I think the game was ment for DOS. The resolution was very low , pixelated with llimited colour palette. It probably looked worse that the original FF. The main character in combat looked like a short stocky version of the Prince of persia main hero becouse of the blounde hair , white clothes and little pixel for a nose. I remember that in some dialogs there were still pictures of the characters talking in anime style , badly drawn anime ;). As for the gameplay - standard fair you learn abilities , spells travel around the map to diferent locations. I remember that the first serious battle was when you left the starting castle. It was in a cave and you killed a cyclop. An other thing i remember was a black castle or a tower (made from grey or black bricks) and you are climbing to the upper floors. And there were these monsters in there who kind of looked like the Gizmo monsters from Shining Force. And the final thing i remember is that the hp potions were called "cure" like in FF.