00s/10s SciFi Turn Based Strategy Game [Laser Squad Nemesis]

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
Hands_jpeg

Post by Hands_jpeg »

This was a turn based strategy game for PC (came on a disc), very similar to XCOM but not as refined, in which there were three different races. A human race, an advanced little grey men race, and a more beastlike alien race. You started the game by choosing your race and creating a small army/group with a set number of points from a set of different troops. I specifically remember the humans had a grenadier class, medic class, assault class, and an "HQ" that could be placed then used to resupply troops. The beast race's "HQ" equivalent was a large slug creature that could eat corpses and create new troops, which were mainly just different alien animals that relied on melee attacks with a few ranged. The advanced aliens had a guy on a saucer and a bunch of other troops with stereotypical alien weapons that shot shockwaves and stuff.

There were multiple maps but I think they were mostly ruined cities and such.

This was NOT a popular game. I am the only one I've ever known to have it and I have absolutely no idea where it was bought.
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

00s/10s SciFi Turn Based Strategy Game

Post by Rwolf »

Was it using the same isometric view of your troops as the older X-Com DOS game, or something else?

Space Hulk is another game with only two types of enemy aliens who also use melee fighting. I'm not sure if you can play as aliens in a solo game - you can play versus games online, so maybe you can use aliens then, perhaps. The graphics style is not isometric I think, more birds eye view, in the screen shots. The environment is in a spaceship, so it's probably not the right game.

There is also this list of squad-management games to look at: https://www.mobygames.com/game-group/ga ... management
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Maybe look at Laser Squad Nemesis? I never played it myself so some details may no match (e.g. I'm not sure about the HQ) but I think it does have the factions similar to what you describe.
Hands_jpeg

Post by Hands_jpeg »

MrFlibble got it spot on. Thanks mate
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

You're welcome! IIRC there are several demo versions available, not sure what the single player part is as the servers are no longer online AFAIK.