Game based on Cultures

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
adammasterek

Game based on Cultures

Post by adammasterek »

I'm looking for a game based on the strategy game series "Cultures". That certain game was an isometric action mini-game where the player was controlling a single redhaired Viking - the Viking model was the same as the ones known from Cultures and Cultures 2. I remember I was shooting some boars with a bow on a small, limited map, I remember collecting some hearts to heal the character. The game could be released somewhere between 2000-2005. Been looking for it for the last 5 years and still no luck.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Game based on Cultures

Post by MrFlibble »

Was it an official tie-in or a fangame? If the former, then maybe it was archived at the official site of he developer via the Wayback Machine?
adammasterek

Game based on Cultures

Post by adammasterek »

Well, I just found it on one of the old CDs in my collection, but sadly it's just a demo and not working on Windows 10. The game is called 'Cultures: The Beginning' (2000). Really hard to get nowadays, and even hard to find any info online. I only found one video on YouTube so far.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Game based on Cultures

Post by MrFlibble »

The game was available for download from the developers' site:
http://www.funatics.de/html/german/downloads.html#CulturesBegin

Unfortunately the Wayback Machine does not have the file itself (Cultures%20-%20The%20Beginning.exe).
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Game based on Cultures

Post by Rwolf »

I found it on an old private fanpage in Norwegian: https://www.gratis-kvalitetsdataspel.or ... beginning/
The website (not updated since 2009) kept free & demo games only, for DOS & Windows no shareware nor warez, according to the site owner.

The download still works, so I'll try to get it running; I'm not infected with the Win10 plague yet ;-)

Update: seems to work fine on both my 32 bit Vista and 64bit XP machines in both normal and Win95-WinXP compatibility modes, so it really should work on your Win10, unless there is something very different with your version from the magazine CD. (Or maybe Win10 is really picky, which is always possible).

Also, here the obligatory Mobygames link, with some screenshots by yours truly: Cultures - the Beginning.