Golden-Axe-like Bone Giant boss, Connan-like swordsman, Whip wielder-lady [Warrior Blade: Rastan Saga Episode III]

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
stranded_fox

Golden-Axe-like Bone Giant boss, Connan-like swordsman, Whip wielder-lady [Warrior Blade: Rastan Saga Episode III]

Post by stranded_fox »

After helping me find the game Dark secrets of Africa - I return with yet another title search!

This was an old sidescroller game, and it does indeed look close (graphics-wise) to Golden Axe 2 or Golden Axe the revenge of death.

I played it in an arcade mall of some sort, with a slot machine - this was somewhere in 1996-ish, thou probably the game machine was older than that.

You could chose from 3 characters: I remember clearly that you had muscular guy (just boots and pants I guess) with a sword or a lady-girl with a whip.
Girl was also dressed like the girl in golden axe 2 - and yes I think her clothes were... red colored?

I can't recall enemies exactly, but I think they were skeletons? And the boss for that (first) level was a skeleton Dragon of some sort - never got past him.

Vaguely I remember maybe lighting effects? I think this was a "super" ability of the whip lady? ... and that the level was pretty dark setting, like some sort of dark world/open dungeon? of some sort.

EDIT: you could walk up and down, left and right, so it wasn't just a back-forward-jump limitation (just like golden axe 2 players navigates)

Is it normal for slot machine games to not be published on home-game-consoles? and be exclusive only for arcades?
Last edited by stranded_fox on Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:10 am, edited 4 times in total.
stranded_fox

Sidescroller (Golden-Axe-like) Bone/Skeleton Dragon boss, Protagonist: Connan-like sword-weilder, Whip wealing lady

Post by stranded_fox »

If it helps I remember clearly that this arcade gaming hub also had this arcade machine:

https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_deta ... me_id=9717

Maybe it could help in placing the game in time...
stranded_fox

Sidescroller (Golden-Axe-like) Bone/Skeleton Dragon boss, Protagonist: Connan-like sword-weilder, Whip wealing lady

Post by stranded_fox »

Yeah... I think I found it - but believe me, it was a super lucky find.
I was thinking of this years on and off and I couldn't just google keywords.

I think this was it - the level of details match it, the characters match it, and the bone dragon was more of a 2-head-giant-skeleton.... again, memory corruption :))

Thou I do remember it a bit different to be honest - anyone has knowledge of something similar graphics/gameplay wise?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X11yiwgrnfU

I'm about close to 90% this was it thou.

EDIT: make that rather close to 99% :P seeing the gold piles enemies drop and the ship level, it clearly is what I played back then.
It's funny how I tried to describe the environment: open spaced but dark as a dungeon :))

EDIT 2: Strangely enough, my memories of the quality/esthetics, match the actual game.
It's the first time I re-find something old and DON'T say "eh, it looked better back then when I played it" - I'm impressed!
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Sidescroller (Golden-Axe-like) Bone/Skeleton Dragon boss, Protagonist: Connan-like sword-wielder, Whip wielder-lady

Post by Rwolf »

Good that you found it; there is a Mobygames group for the series: https://www.mobygames.com/game-group/rastan-series

The first two was also released on other platforms, and I guess it depends on how popular it was, if it pays off to port a game to other platforms.
stranded_fox

Sidescroller (Golden-Axe-like) Bone Dragon boss, Protagonist: Connan-like sword-wielder, Whip wielder-lady [Solved]

Post by stranded_fox »

Admins are free to cut down from the guess-title and tag it with its name: Warrior Blade: Rastan Saga Episode III

I've cut down the text tile to this Golden-Axe-like Bone Giant boss, Connan-like swordsman, Whip wielder-lady [Warrior Blade: Rastan Saga Episode III] so it can fit. Can't seem to edit the title myself since some time has past since posting.

Again thank you for your help!
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Done, thanks for being mindful of details, appreciated :)