1988 - 1994 DOS Side Shooter / Puzzle (no scrolling) = Very difficult not recognizable on big lists

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
theicecream

1988 - 1994 DOS Side Shooter / Puzzle (no scrolling) = Very difficult not recognizable on big lists

Post by theicecream »

Peers never heard of it when it was out it must be a one-off from an unpopular studio.

Very heavy silver and black theme like 95%. Other color is blue

It was probably free. My parents would never have bought me it.

Audio was just blip and bonk.

It was a few word title describing the hero like Robocypher or something like that.

Not a lot of sprites like one or two per level, it was sort of a puzzle game.

You had a laser gun.

You needed to avoid spikes and break glass

The graphics were pretty good for the time, as in they didn't look drawn like all the other games I saw from the era.
theicecream

Post by theicecream »

ibb dot co
X7pT7Xn
Swiftcutter
Expert
Expert

Post by Swiftcutter »

Something like Lode Runner, maybe?
theicecream

Post by theicecream »

I played LodeRunner concurrently, as well as a game called Hardball III, during this time. Not very helpful but I rotated these three. The LodeRunner version would have been 1994.

I wonder if I should expand my years.
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

Hmm...maybe 'Out of this world'?
Shooter (laser gun perhaps?) and puzzles, mostly black/blue colors.
theicecream

Post by theicecream »

It's like that game was created to deliberately make the search harder. No the graphics weren't as good, they weren't drawn either, more like 8 bit. Also, that game looks way more fun.

Thanks for your help folks. I think I about give up on this one.
Swiftcutter
Expert
Expert

Post by Swiftcutter »

Arctic Adventure?
theicecream

Post by theicecream »

This game basically stole Arctic Adventure apparently - or vice versa. The spikes are nearly identical.

The problem is the graphic quality is a little higher in mine, better resolution. Plus your guy is wearing a spacesuit.
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

So...maybe something from the same developer/publisher Apogee Software, or involving the same designer George Broussard?

https://www.mobygames.com/company/apogee-software-ltd

https://www.mobygames.com/developer/she ... erId,1007/

I looked at a few of his games, and possibly Bio Menace is similar? Lots of Black/Grey(Silver?)/Blue, and a spiked ceiling in one screenshot:

https://www.mobygames.com/game/bio-menace/screenshots
Swiftcutter
Expert
Expert

Post by Swiftcutter »

Monuments of Mars, then? It's basically the same as Arctic Adventure, but with a little spacesuit guy...
The colors were red-yellow-green when I played it, but I found some screen shots of the game running with a cyan-magenta-white palette as well.
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

Yeah I'm thinking Monuments of Mars running in CMW CGA mode also ...

https://dosgames.com/game/monuments-of-mars/
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament