Win9x game made of mini-games

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
darkrevenge16

Post by darkrevenge16 »

Searching for a pc game that I'v played on a windows 98 pc in the years 1999-2001. Here's what I remember:

2D. I remember this game was made of mini-games, like you had a hub where you could move from place to place and each place was a mini-game. One of the placed was a great house, I think it was where the main character lived. I remember two of the minigames, one was a fighting game (all in 2D with health bars and squared characters) and another was a snake charmer, you had to guess something I don't remember what but maybe a combination, for playing the guy's flute to charm the snake. I remember the game had a distinct character design, but nothing more than this.

Thanks in advance.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Hi.

Games like this are not very easy to look for, but MobyGames keeps track of titles that include or are made of mini-games, here's a filtered list for Windows only, sorted by year of release:
https://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/ ... ist-games/

Most games should have screenshots and a description that might help you identify yours, if the titles themselves don't ring a bell.
darkrevenge16

Post by darkrevenge16 »

Thanks for your reply.

I've searched in mobygames from the link you provided in the dates ranging 1998 and 2002 and didn't find it... I knew it was a long shot with this very blurry memories but it was still worth a try :)

I'll continue searching.

I don't know if it helps, but I remembered that the game was on CD.
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

I read there is a snake charming minigame in Rayman: Raving Rabbits 2

It is also collection of minigames, so maybe.
darkrevenge16

Post by darkrevenge16 »

Thanks for your reply. It isn't a Rayman game. That game I'm searching must have been released in 2001 or before, I would say before from the looks of it, it seemed a game that showed its age at the time I played it (1999-2001).

I remembered something, there was a character in the game that looked like Edna Mode from Incredibles.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

darkrevenge16 wrote: One of the placed was a great house, I think it was where the main character lived. I remember two of the minigames, one was a fighting game (all in 2D with health bars and squared characters) and another was a snake charmer, you had to guess something I don't remember what but maybe a combination, for playing the guy's flute to charm the snake.
Somehow this part of your description actually reminded me of Space Quest 6 where there are several mini-games in the game arcade section. But the rest of the game is vastly different from your description.
darkrevenge16

Post by darkrevenge16 »

I think that game is very similar to the game that I'm looking after! Its still not it, but thanks again for trying. That game I'm looking for had a cartoonish look, "squared art" for characters, like old CN shows, at least is what is on my mind, the character design was unusual, not bad drawn but unusual. And didn't look so adult in themes like Space Quest.

I'll try looking for "Space Quest-like" games.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

darkrevenge16 wrote: the character design was unusual, not bad drawn but unusual
Can you try to define this more precisely? Actually, what was the theme of the game? Did it take place in today's world, or in some fantasy place? Were the characters human?

For example, here's another 2D point-and-click adventure game with a distinct hand-drawn art style: The Big Red Adventure. How does it compare to the art in your game? Anything like the simplest observations (e.g. were character sprites bigger or smaller relative to screen size) might be useful.

And here's yet another cartoon-styled children's game which is actually a collection of minigames: Pajama Sam: Games to Play on Any Day. Again, the art style is different from the above. You could try looking at some other Humongous Entertainment titles BTW.
darkrevenge16

Post by darkrevenge16 »

I don't remember anything more, sorry. The "major" evidences to try and find the game were those two mini-games I referenced in the first post, an indian snake charmer that would charm a snake with some combination you had to guess and an arcade machine that had a fighting game that you could play. That wasn't the main objective of the game I think, but it had other mini-games. I remember it being point and click and you could go to a great house with a great entrance with a garden, it had purple/black color themes in it.

I can't really remember much more, I'm trying to squeeze my memory but I get nothing. I was very young at that time, 7/8 years old, and the game wasn't mine, it was from a friend (that doesn't remember the game too). Also I don't want to induce anyone into error with potential fake memories, I mean, 20 years passed, those memories may have been "corrupted" by those 20 years, like when you think that the game was in a way, but is another way. I remember that me and my friends didn't play that game much time, it was installed only for a couple of months, when another friend appeared with a CD with Tomb Raider 4 in spanish, we completely forgot that unnamed game, TR4 was such a hit at that time among us and one of my favorites until today. I wanted to find that unnamed game for the sake of curiosity, because I'm a very nostalgic person, I would love to revisit the game to get that awesome sensation of "I remember this... and this..." but if I can't find it, even with you guys help, it isn't the end of the world as I'm much appreciated for every guess you've made until now :D

About the games you suggested, The Big Red Adventure and Pajama Sam: Games to Play on Any Day, none of these are, all I can relate is that is the same type of game that the game I'm looking for. I looked for Humongous Entertainment game's searching one by one into google images, but nothing did click in my mind, maybe the fact that I'm still looking for the references I remember isn't good for that process. But I'll check again later today.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

darkrevenge16 wrote: About the games you suggested, The Big Red Adventure and Pajama Sam: Games to Play on Any Day, none of these are
I just provided those two as examples of high-res adventure game art style -- I do realise those are not your game, maybe I should have made it more clear.

It's not easy to describe things like the style of drawing/art with words unless you compare it to something else.

I would probably focus on the versus fighting minigame, as this is not a common feature AFAIK. While a snake charmer is a pretty widespread trope that could give you many false leads.