Early-mid 80s space type game w/ dots and Scandinavian place names [Sentinel Worlds]

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
Thrownaxe

Early-mid 80s space type game w/ dots and Scandinavian place names [Sentinel Worlds]

Post by Thrownaxe »

Hi,

This has been driving me crazy for years. I'm looking for an old space game where when you left your ship to go into a space station all your characters were little white dots. I vaguely remember there being a Rekjavik station or something similar named. It might have had a lot of names from the Greenland or Iceland area. I just remember the names and controlling the white dots in combat. I believe you created all your characters for you squad too. I've looked through a bunch of old game sights and thought it might have been Starflight but I think it was before that. Game would have been early to mid-80s if I remember correctly. I've given up on finding the name but thought I'd try here for a last hope. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Early-mid 80s space type game w/ dots and Scandinavian place names

Post by MrFlibble »

First off, please read the posting rules. Your description is lacking a lot of important information, also we ask users here not to include phrases like "I'm looking for a game" or "old game" as these bear no useful information.

For example, you say that the game is from early to mid 80s but do not say which computer system you played this on. In the 80s, there wee lots of personal computers apart from IBM PCs, and likely not a few games with a theme similar to what you describe.

Further on, if your game is to be found it would be good to know if your characters could level up (that would allow to distinguish between Adventure and Role-Playing type of game), and if you moved them in real time or on a turn-based basis. Basically, you should describe gameplay in as much detail as possible: did you view your dots on the screen all the time or only during battles (if there were battles), did you just explore one space station or move around a system of such bases etc. etc.

I'm asking all this because, even though I do not know your game, we could apply the relevant search criteria (platform, genre, setting and so on) to narrow down the search at MobyGames. For now I cannot think of anything more specific except to list all DOS games with a sci-fi setting (assuming that what you're looking for is a DOS game and not on any of some five or six other home computer systems of the time), and that is a very big list.
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

If it wasn't *all* combat, there is a smaller group of games about both space trading & combat:

https://www.mobygames.com/game-group/ge ... and-combat
Thrownaxe

Post by Thrownaxe »

Here is everything else I can remember:

System: DOS based game. Back then I would have had an IBM style pc 8086/8088 type.
Game Info: You only saw the character dots when you were on a space station or planet if I remember correctly. The rest of the time you were moving from system to system or just on your ship. I can't remember if there was space combat but it feels like there was and that you could board enemy ships. I believe there was more than one solar Shrm or at least multiple planets and stations.

I think it was turn based combat not real time and I believe you could upgrade weapons, items and skills so it had rpg elements at least.

Sorry the thinks that I remember the most were the white dots representing your characters on the screen as you moved around the map and that I'm pretty sure there was a planet or station with a name similar to Rekjavik.

I think I was playing it around the same time as Alternate Reality which was mid80s release date.

Sorry I know it's not much to go on. I'll look through the list that was posted. I have spent hours looking through lists of DOS games from back then hoping something would jog my memory but I couldn't always find screenshots of the games.

Appreciate the help.
Thrownaxe

Post by Thrownaxe »

Thanks for those. I'll start looking at them and see if I can find one that rings a bell. Probably never play it again but it's driving me nuts that I can't find the name. I still have all my old games from back then but that one.
Swiftcutter
Expert
Expert

Post by Swiftcutter »

Sentinel Worlds?
Thrownaxe

Post by Thrownaxe »

Swiftcutter wrote: Sentinel Worlds?
That's it! I knew it the minute I read the name but found some gameplay footage and that's it exactly. Thank you a ton! I honestly thought I'd never know what it was again. Watching the gameplay sure brought back some memories. I forgot how much more there was in the game back then. Can't thank you enough, been driving me crazy for years.
Thrownaxe

Post by Thrownaxe »

That's the one. Here's the gameplay footage I looked at. At around the 27 min mark you can see the little dots I remembered the most.

https://youtu.be/lO1oNK_ju2g