DOS, really simple, you move across black screen, avoid monsters

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
Iphi

Post by Iphi »

I've been trying to find the name of this game for a while but to no avail. This was a really simple game for DOS from the '80s that I played as a little kid. It consist of an area bordered with a simple line, and you play as a square (or some simple icon). If I remember correctly, the goal is simply to make your way from one corner to another, and you move one tile at a time. However, there are "monsters" that move towards you every time you move, and you have to figure out a route that avoids touching them. So it was sort of like one roguelike room. I don't remember if the game had levels, but I guess if it had, each time it would spawn more monsters.

Here's a crude drawing I made from memory. I think the graphics such as they were were only green. On closer inspection I think the monsters had little arms, legs and mouths, a bit like space invader.

mysterygame.jpg
mysterygame.jpg (13.8 KiB) Viewed 1361 times
If anyone can help, I'm grateful. It's been decades since I played this and I still think of it every now and then.
Swiftcutter
Expert
Expert

Post by Swiftcutter »

It might be the game "Chase" or some variant of it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chase_(video_game)
Iphi

Post by Iphi »

Swiftcutter wrote: It might be the game "Chase" or some variant of it.
Hey, this is definitely it!! Probably some other version, but I recognize the game mechanics. Thank you so much! :) I'll try to find out which version exactly this was.