Breakout clone late 1990s/early 2000s

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
Hellart

Post by Hellart »

I'm looking for an old breakout-style clone that I remember I used to play on my dad's computer in late 1990s/early 2000s. Specifics:
- probably windows 98, though it could have been win95 or MS-DOS (highly unlikely)
- breakout clone - one paddle, one ball
- black background
- grey bricks

Some of the more obscure facts that I kept in my head for some reason:
- I remember a yodeling sound when I think back to it and German writing, which is what leads me to believe it is of German or Austrian origin
- I remember it being played in a minimized window for some reason and that the game did not take up all the space in the window - you had the field of play taking 3/4ths of the window and then the right 1/4th was taken by some text/menus
- I remember bricks having orange skulls appear when the bricks were taken out
- I believe there were some power ups, not sure though. I think I remember red hearts showing up after you destroyed some of the bricks

I checked most of the places that the forums would normally point out to - the forums themselves, mobygames, theodor laupert's old repository, abandonware, wikipedia, abandonia and whatever else I could find. Also tried to mine for old German/Austrian obscure game developers but no luck.

If that helps, I'm from Poland and back in those times we had no internet, so this could narrow things down a little bit. I'd appreciate any help you can give me!

All the best
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

A classic Geman breakout clone would be 'Bolo' and its variants. It was initially for Atari ST, using a high resolution mode, with a black/white (grey) screen only. There later was a version for PC (DOS) and Mac, with updated playing screens, but mostly grey also, from what I see on Mobygames screenshots.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/atari-st/bolo

https://www.mobygames.com/game/bolo___
Hellart

Post by Hellart »

I'm pretty confident that it was not Bolo, I did come across it in my research previously. Based on the screenshots it doesn't really fit the description and just does not feel right.

I vividly remember all the levels being played on a pitch black background and the bricks always being a simple grey, nothing fancy.

The weirdest fact that I associate with the game is the yodeling... possibly connected to losing a life, though it might just be my memory deceiving me.

Thanks for the help!