Deserted Dystopian Win98 (War/Space) 3D Game [Solved by chromax -> "Incoming 1998"]

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
MagentaLaser

Deserted Dystopian Win98 (War/Space) 3D Game [Solved by chromax -> "Incoming 1998"]

Post by MagentaLaser »

[This post has been solved!]

Hello!
I can only recall bits and pieces of the game, so I will try and be as concise as possible:

The game is a 3D military/war/space(either or all) kind of game.
You began as ground unit. A tank, war unit, or a small blocky vehicle. You had a mission, can't know for sure if you had a timer or not to complete it.
As you steered the vehicle, you had to either shoot a building/enemy or just drive somewhere to complete the first mission (Tutorial to get the feel of the controls I guess). After you completed the first or second mission, you changed into a helicopter of some sort. The next part is the most spesific part I can remember. You had a chain under the flying thing, and your goal was to attach a box onto the chain and transport the object to a new place (with a Bulls Eye symbol on the ground to indicate where to go. Not sure if the Bulls Eye symbol even existed, but I think so).
The environment was dark/night, the ground was poopy brown and the sky was full of stars(I think). I get this dystopian, deserted feeling every time I think of it. The helicopter had a health meter, and it decreased if you touched the ground (Maybe).

I don't think the game was a standalone game, but a part of a game collection CD you got for the Win95 or Win98 system. The bundle packs with big, flashy and colorful images of games and puzzles.
I want to thank you for reading my obscure post with little to no hope of a conclusion. Any suggestions are welcome.

Edit - It's none of these games, but it's similar:

Comanche: Maximum Overkill (1992, Novalogic Inc)
Battle Chopper (1994, Panoramic Software)
SWIV 3D (1996, SCi (Sales Curve Interactive))
Comanche 3 (1997, Novalogic Inc)
Extreme Assault (1997, Blue Byte Software)
Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising (2001, Rage Games Limited)

A special thanks to everyone who have contributed to this post.

This post was created on Wednesday October 16, 2019 9:44 pm.
This post was solved by chromax on Tuesday January 28, 2020 8:04 pm. A huge thanks to this person! ^_^
After 22 years of vague memories, I can finally put it to rest.

The game "Incoming Forces" are available on Steam, and it includes the original "Incoming". Also my PS4 controller works with the game. This just blows my mind. :jester:
Last edited by MagentaLaser on Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:24 pm, edited 14 times in total.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Deserted Dystopian Win98 (War/Space) 3D Game

Post by MrFlibble »

I only remember Extreme Assault that offers control of both a tank and a helicopter. It's not very dark though.
MagentaLaser

Deserted Dystopian Win98 (War/Space) 3D Game

Post by MagentaLaser »

MrFlibble wrote: I only remember Extreme Assault that offers control of both a tank and a helicopter. It's not very dark though.
I feel like it's so close, yet its not exactly the one I'm looking for. Thank you!
Vyothric

Deserted Dystopian Win98 (War/Space) 3D Game [Unsolved]

Post by Vyothric »

Sounds like Hostile Waters to me.
MagentaLaser

Post by MagentaLaser »

Vyothric wrote: Sounds like Hostile Waters to me.
Thanks for the reply, but sadly it's not the one.
First impression of Hostile Waters made me believe it could be the sequel.
chromax

Post by chromax »

What view do you had in the game? Cockpit? Behind?

Incoming forces was often bundled, but mostly with 3d accelerators.
MagentaLaser

Post by MagentaLaser »

chromax wrote: What view do you had in the game? Cockpit? Behind?

Incoming forces was often bundled, but mostly with 3d accelerators.

OH MY GOD! Thats it!!

It's the prequel to "Incoming Forces" called "Incoming" by Rage Software published in 1997 (It's also referred to as "Incoming 1998").

-In my description: "After you completed the first or second mission, you changed into a helicopter of some sort. The next part is the most spesific part I can remember. You had a chain under the flying thing, and your goal was to attach a box onto the chain and transport the object to a new place"
+Go to YouTube and search for "Incoming (1998) LONGPLAY" and go to 3:05 (Not allowed to post links here)

It could go years between the flashing image of the helicopter with the chain/rope under it, and wondering what kind of game it was.

Im just, wow.
chromax, thank you so much :clap: :clap: :love: :shifty: :thumbsup: :lolcat: :devil: :D :clap: :clap:
This brings me back.