Deserted Dystopian Win98 (War/Space) 3D Game [Unsolved]

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
MagentaLaser

Post by MagentaLaser » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:44 pm

Hello!

Being a 90's kid, I've been able to find almost every piece of nostalgia. Except for one spesific game.

Every time I find something, I clench my lower lip before I smile and think of all the happy days of a childhood never to return. Only the memories.
I've been searching for it on and off for the last decade or so. Mentally reviewing my own life through remembrance, it suddenly appears out of nowhere again and again. I go on a searching spree, I lose myself on dead forums and reach for another dose of viral content. Rinse and repeat.

I can only recall bits and pieces of the game, so I will try and be as concise as possible:

The game was a 3D military/war/space(either or all) kind of game.
You began as ground unit. A tank, war unit, or a small blocky vehicle. You had a mission, can't know for sure if you had a timer or not to complete it.
As you steered the vehicle, you had to either shoot a building/enemy or just drive somewhere to complete the first mission (Tutorial to get the feel of the controls I guess). After you completed the first or second mission, you changed into a helicopter of some sort. The next part is the most spesific part I can remember. You had a chain under the flying thing, and your goal was to attach a box onto the chain and transport the object to a new place (with a Bulls Eye symbol on the ground to indicate where to go. Not sure if the Bulls Eye symbol even existed, but I think so).
The environment was dark/night, the ground was poopy brown and the sky was full of stars(I think). I get this dystopian, deserted feeling every time I think of it. The helicopter had a health meter, and it decreased if you touched the ground.

I don't think the game was a standalone game, but a part of a game collection CD you got for the Win95 or Win98 system. These bundle packs with big, flashy and colorful images of games and puzzles.

I want to thank you for reading my vague post with little to no hope of a conclusion. Any suggestions are welcome.
Have a great day!

Edit - It's none of these games, but it's similar:

Comanche: Maximum Overkill (1992, Novalogic Inc)
Battle Chopper (1994, Panoramic Software)
SWIV 3D (1996, SCi (Sales Curve Interactive))
Comanche 3 (1997, Novalogic Inc)
Extreme Assault (1997, Blue Byte Software)
Last edited by MagentaLaser on Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Deserted Dystopian Win98 (War/Space) 3D Game

Post by MrFlibble » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:34 pm

I only remember Extreme Assault that offers control of both a tank and a helicopter. It's not very dark though.

MagentaLaser

Deserted Dystopian Win98 (War/Space) 3D Game

Post by MagentaLaser » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:37 pm

MrFlibble wrote: I only remember Extreme Assault that offers control of both a tank and a helicopter. It's not very dark though.
I feel like it's so close, yet its not exactly the one I'm looking for. Thank you!

Vyothric

Post by Vyothric » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:11 am

Sounds like Hostile Waters to me.

MagentaLaser

Post by MagentaLaser » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:05 pm

Vyothric wrote: Sounds like Hostile Waters to me.
Thanks for the reply, but sadly it's not the one.
First impression of Hostile Waters made me believe it could be the sequel.