Late 90's top down puzzle/strategy game [DROD]

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
[email protected]

Late 90's top down puzzle/strategy game [DROD]

Post by [email protected] »

There was a game I used to play on my brothers computer all the time. It was a windows 98 pc although I think the game ran in ms-dos but I can't remember it's been so long.

It was top down type game and the environment was a castle and/or dungeon theme. The main character was a soldier/knight and had a sword. The primary enemy were these bug like creatures.

The goal of each level was to kill all the bugs in order to move on to the next level. Your character and the bugs were arranged in each level on a grid like playing field similar to checkers except each level was different with walls, obstacles etc. Each bug and your character took up one square.

I believe your knight was given a select number of squares he could move to/from and could also pivot 90° on each square. With every move/pivot the bugs would all advance 1 square closer to you. To make things worse in order to kill them your knight had to be turned 90° out from a bug that was on a square directly adjacent to you, with your knight pivoting towards the square the bug is on.

Please if anyone remembers this game and possibly a place where I could play it that would be awesome! Thanks!
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

That sounds a lot like one of the DroD "deadly rooms of death" series.

Googling DROD should get you lots of info; and I know GOG.com carries them, and there's the Caravel Games site, and there's probably (used to be) a free version if you want to try it out...
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

Quadko wrote:That sounds a lot like one of the DroD "deadly rooms of death" series.

Googling DROD should get you lots of info; and I know GOG.com carries them, and there's the Caravel Games site, and there's probably (used to be) a free version if you want to try it out...
That looks like it, or at least what I played was a knockoff of it. Thank you sir!

***EDIT*** Currently on sale on steam for 50% off, got the original trilogy + Gunthro and the Epic Blunder for $10 :)