Request| Old Chinese Ghost Game

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
deandannylevy

Request| Old Chinese Ghost Game

Post by deandannylevy »

I used to play long time ago an old game mario lookalike
You start as a ghost, You can only jump. and when you step on a monster and click X/Z, you can poses it, and use it abilities.
It had posts in chinese in it.
I've been trying to find it for like 3 months already..

Let's say you have a small lizzard or something that shoots fire, so when you step on it as a ghost and press Z or X ( one of them, can't remember which ) you become this monster and you can shot fire too.

Please help me find it ! I'm starting to lose my mind over this.

Thank you !!!
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Wow, that's a new one on me. Messiah was a high profile commercial game with a mechanic like this. You might try looking for other games listed with Messiah to see if anyone discusses "possession games like Messiah" or similar.

And good luck with your search! Don't give up, 3 months isn't that long. Sadly many people have been searching for games for years and years before they find it.

Oh, and around what year did you play this? Which platform? Dos, windows, console?
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

Quads right! I have been looking for one game for over 75 years... been so long I do not even remember what it looks like... Heck I do not even know if they had videos games that long ago... (Shakes cane in the air in his best redition of Cranky Kong.)

Actually the description sounds more like a Kirby clone, rather than a Mario one. Kirby starts out weak as water, with only being able to suck enemies into his mouth and either spit them back out as a projectile or gain their abilities. In some games as I recall he can combine two abilities to make a totally fun and unique one. But as far as I know it was only made on Nintendo. I know you said Chinese sign posts, but Japanese and Chinese share the same drawn characters Hanzi and Kanji, just the Japanese also have their own alphabet of sorts and of course the actual sounds of the characters are different.

And although I would not call Kirby a ghost, his appearance is hard to describe as well... pink and "fluffy", number seven on the fluffiness scale... ^_^ Kind of like Jigglypuff, but much cooler.
deandannylevy

Post by deandannylevy »

Quadko wrote:Wow, that's a new one on me. Messiah was a high profile commercial game with a mechanic like this. You might try looking for other games listed with Messiah to see if anyone discusses "possession games like Messiah" or similar.

And good luck with your search! Don't give up, 3 months isn't that long. Sadly many people have been searching for games for years and years before they find it.

Oh, and around what year did you play this? Which platform? Dos, windows, console?
DOS Wolf wrote:Quads right! I have been looking for one game for over 75 years... been so long I do not even remember what it looks like... Heck I do not even know if they had videos games that long ago... (Shakes cane in the air in his best redition of Cranky Kong.)

Actually the description sounds more like a Kirby clone, rather than a Mario one. Kirby starts out weak as water, with only being able to suck enemies into his mouth and either spit them back out as a projectile or gain their abilities. In some games as I recall he can combine two abilities to make a totally fun and unique one. But as far as I know it was only made on Nintendo. I know you said Chinese sign posts, but Japanese and Chinese share the same drawn characters Hanzi and Kanji, just the Japanese also have their own alphabet of sorts and of course the actual sounds of the characters are different.

And although I would not call Kirby a ghost, his appearance is hard to describe as well... pink and "fluffy", number seven on the fluffiness scale... ^_^ Kind of like Jigglypuff, but much cooler.

Thanks for helping! I found it after 2 days in a-row for looking ! It's name is 'Obake' and I just finished it!

Thank you for your replies !
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Very cool, thanks for letting us know! I don't see a linkable site, but Obake has cool google screenshots and appears to have been developed by Mike Splechta.
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

Wiki- "Obake (お化け?) and bakemono (化け物?) are a class of yōkai, preternatural creatures in Japanese folklore. Literally, the terms mean a thing that changes, referring to a state of transformation or shapeshifting.

These words are often translated as ghost, but primarily they refer to living things or supernatural beings who have taken on a temporary transformation, and these bakemono are distinct from the spirits of the dead.[1] However, as a secondary usage, the term obake can be a synonym for yūrei, the ghost of a deceased human being.[2]

A bakemono's true form may be an animal such as a fox (kitsune), a raccoon dog (tanuki), a badger (mujina), a transforming cat (bakeneko), the spirit of a plant—such as a kodama, or an inanimate object which may possess a soul in Shinto and other animistic traditions. Obake derived from household objects are often called tsukumogami.

A bakemono usually either disguises itself as a human or appears in a strange or terrifying form such as a hitotsume-kozō, an ōnyūdō, or a noppera-bō. In common usage, any bizarre apparition can be referred to as a bakemono or an obake whether or not it is believed to have some other form, making the terms roughly synonymous with yōkai.[3]"

The screens looked colorful enough. ^_^