Sierra Point-And-Click

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
Kazer0
<i>Mercenary Dishwasher</i>

Sierra Point-And-Click

Post by Kazer0 »

I don't seem to remember the name. Your a girl, in New York in mid 19th century (Or is it 20th? The one ith 1950, 60, 70, etc.). You have to solve a murder mystery, and later it turns out that the killer was a detective or something who you trap by getting him stuck in a dinosaurs mouth. Anyone know the game?

PS- Game is mostely in a museum and news office, although you can go to other places in the game.
JKSM
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by JKSM »

The game you are looking for is:
Laura Bow: The Dagger of Amon Ra

Quite a nice game, too bad I never got to finished it. In the end I decided to read the walkthrough, that's why I know about catching the killer with the T-Rex that you mentioned. Know your game immediately your mention of a girl reporter/detective in the museum. ;)
Homz
Expert
Expert

Post by Homz »

It isn't freeware or shareware, by any chance, is it?
"You believe me," I said gratefully.
"Of course I do," and he held out his hand. "I believe everything out of the common. The only thing to distrust is the normal."

The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan,
Chapter III
Do you like medieval fighting games or RPG's?
Click aici.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

just wondering... why are you sooo into teh Freeware / Shareware, and sooo against teh Abandonware?

-Richard-
JKSM
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by JKSM »

Homz wrote:It isn't freeware or shareware, by any chance, is it?
Sorry for the news but it's not even abandonware.

E-bay buy link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=11053
but the bidding has ended.

There used to be description of this game as well as some other old games on vintage-sierra webite (part of sierra website) but somehow now that website doesn't seem to exist, hmm, wondered what happened.
Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

Thanks. Ill download it when I find it.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

:no: No you won't. You'll get off your ass, get some money, then find a store that sells it... ya right. :laugh:

-Richard-
Homz
Expert
Expert

Post by Homz »

Why am I obsessed with Shareware and Freeware versions?

I take my religion to a great extreme in some areas. I consider downloading abandonware "stealing" in a sense. I am taking software that, though the makers may be slightly idiotic in not releasing it as freeware. Yeah, that's me. :rolleyes:
"You believe me," I said gratefully.
"Of course I do," and he held out his hand. "I believe everything out of the common. The only thing to distrust is the normal."

The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan,
Chapter III
Do you like medieval fighting games or RPG's?
Click aici.
Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

wardrich wrote::no: No you won't. You'll get off your ass, get some money, then find a store that sells it... ya right. :laugh:

-Richard-
I was looking for a demo. jeez. And i can't even find the demo, let alone the full version.
JKSM
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by JKSM »

In cae someone would like to take a look. The vintage sierra website seems to came back again.
http://www.vintage-sierra.com/lb.html
It has a short review & game hints. There are actually websites with better reviews that you can find via a search engine.
I was looking for a demo. jeez. And i can't even find the demo, let alone the full version.

Very true, I didn't see a demo, hmm. There don't seem to be anything for you to download via a normal search. :D

The one I used to play was the old floppy version and not the improved CD-ROM version. Haven't found yet anywhere else that you can buy it but there should be some place and it should be CD-ROM version.
JKSM
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by JKSM »

I found a nice page with Sierra games demos. Haven't tested whether these demos are okay but at least they look like demos because the size is much smaller than the orginals.

This page include the demo for Laura Bow: The Dagger of Amon Ra so Kazer0 you may eventually have the chance to try the game if you hadn't already have.

If those downloads are indeed working demos, it might to quite cool to have them at dosgames. ;)
prelude
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by prelude »

whats abandonware? everybody goes on about it and i wanna know what it is
Last edited by prelude on Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JKSM
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by JKSM »

prelude wrote:whats abandonware? everybody goes on about it and i wanna know what it is
A summarised explanation is:
Abandonware are old full version commercial programs / games that are no longer sold in shops or no longer sold / supported by the company who made them.The publisher still owns the copyright although you can no longer buy it. That's where the legality comes in regarding the distribution of abandonware. To read more, look here. These are not freeware or shareware.

The underdogs site is an example of an abandonware site although they have freeware and shareware games as well.