90s Sci-Fi Game [Alien Logic]

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.

90s Sci-Fi Game [Alien Logic]

Post by Guest »

I've remembered an old game that I played briefly on my grandfather's PC many years ago - and I cannot for the life of me figure out what it was! Here is what I remember (vaguely, I was young and these may be slightly inaccurate):

- It opens in a city on what appears to be an alien planet, specifically some bar(?), and from the conversation I believe it is a sequel, with the main character either a detective or outlaw, definitely roguish

- It has a world map and requires you to scan or carry out some odd procedure in order to advance

- There was a fight with some sort of four legged beasts and the view was top-down or close to it, with a menu framing the action on the right

- I believe it was available on CD, and most likely was produced between 92-95

I know that's not much to go on, but hopefully someone will recognize it. Thanks for your time!
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Re: 90s Sci-Fi Game

Post by MrFlibble »

Anonymous wrote:- It opens in a city on what appears to be an alien planet, specifically some bar(?), and from the conversation I believe it is a sequel, with the main character either a detective or outlaw, definitely roguish
Somehow this reminded me of Beneath a Steel Sky but I think it might not be even a close guess :)

You haven't specified the genre of the game but if it indeed was a graphical adventure game, then you might also want to look at the Space Quest series.

If the perspective is always top-down, then maybe you should also check out Albion.

[Edit] Maybe also Dreamweb.

Post by Guest »

Somehow this reminded me of Beneath a Steel Sky but I think it might not be even a close guess
Nope, I have that game and know that's not the one - though it is a great one!
You haven't specified the genre of the game but if it indeed was a graphical adventure game, then you might also want to look at the Space Quest series.
Haha, I'm not entirely certain which genre it was, my memory is THAT fuzzy about it. But I have a feeling it was more combat heavy than a standard adventure game from the time.
If the perspective is always top-down, then maybe you should also check out Albion.
It had a similar feel graphically, and I want to check out Albion, but I am fairly certain it had a large portion of the interface on the right side of the screen...
[Edit] Maybe also Dreamweb.
It had better graphics than Dreamweb, and I believe you were able to explore a fairly large portion of a planet (or more, I never got far into it), not just a city.

I hope I'm not just hallucinating this game into existence... Hmm, or maybe I should and then make it :laugh:
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

I hope I'm not just hallucinating this game into existence... Hmm, or maybe I should and then make it
Been there! Happily I found mine eventually. Hopefully you will, too. ^_^

This doesn't ring a bell, but here are some shot-in-the-dark guesses based more on text description than screenshots or memories. These may be too old.

Worlds of Ultima: Martian Dreams & Savage Empire, Space Rogue, Wasteland & Fallout, Hard Nova, Neuromancer, Chaos Engine, and Captain Blood.

Oh, and do you remember if you were a solo player, a party, or traveled to different planets?

Post by Guest »

I FOUND IT I FOUND IT I FOUND IT

I'm actually crying a little bit right now, seriously. I used MobyGames to narrow it down to dos and media type cd and just started going through the 300 odd left... and it's Alien Logic (1994), based on the Skyrealms of Jorune pen & paper RPG. Ooooh man it feels so good to find it. Thanks for the help!
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

Hmm, I thought of that, but dismissed it; 'opens in a bar' and the menu on right didn't ring a bell. (I just played some of it a couple of months ago).

It starts in an abode of one alien species who resurrected you from a strange storage device.

If you find an old v1.0 copy, the v1.02 patch fixes some nasty bugs.

Post by Guest »

Rwolf wrote:Hmm, I thought of that, but dismissed it; 'opens in a bar' and the menu on right didn't ring a bell. (I just played some of it a couple of months ago).

It starts in an abode of one alien species who resurrected you from a strange storage device.
The opening in a bar was likely from another game that I played from around that time (I was 7 years old, so a bit fuzzy :shame:). But Alien Logic is definitely the one I was thinking of with the other bits, even if they were a bit jumbled!
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Sweet, congratulations! Glad you found it. Thanks for letting us know!

Moby link for convenience: Alien Logic