Kind of LOTRish adventure game. Please help

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
maikaregion

Kind of LOTRish adventure game. Please help

Post by maikaregion »

I know this will be a hard one, as I'm not even 100% sure that it is technically even a DOS game, though I'm almost sure that it is. I believe that commands were entered through text, but it also had a picture above(I never played it much)

I think it was something about Dark Lord, you had to take some artifact(maybe even a ring) to a place to get it destroyed-I think-OR you could get to anotehr place and help raise an army maybe? you could lose if you took too long and some "good" city got destroyed. I remember it being relatively popyular because when I DLed it years ago it had a pretty large wikipedia article. I also believe that you had a party and not just one person

Thanks for any help, I know I didn't give much to go on.

Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

I know there were some graphical IF (text adventure with pictures over it!) games based on LotR.

I played The Hobbit, but that sounds like maybe The Crack of Doom, but there are a few more covering other parts of the story.

maikaregion

Post by maikaregion »

thanks but no, it isn't any of those. and it isnt really based on lotr, just shares similar plot themes

Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Do the screenshots of Crack Of Doom look like the correct style for "picture above text" that you remember, or does something like Eric the Unready look closer? Do you remember if you used a mouse?

Some other varieties and fantasy Interactive Fiction guesses: Bored of the Rings, Eamon and SwordThrust that are RPG but no pictures I see, Jewels of Darkness, Price of Magik in the Time of Magik Trilogy, Guild of Thieves, and Myth. I didn't come up with any party based IF, though.

Also, in case interactive fiction is the wrong type of game, graphical adventure games like King's Quest took text commands as well as moving your character around the screen with arrow keys / joystick / mouse.

Let us know if any of these look closer or farther away from what you remember. :)

maikaregion

Post by maikaregion »

closest to jewels of darkness I suppose, it was mostly about traveling long distances and less about puzzles and stuff, I think random events happened

I know this isn't much to go on, I'm sorry

Rwolf
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Rwolf »

A player-controlled party is more common with RPG:s than pure adventures in my experience.

If you think Jewels of Darkness looks close in style, maybe look over some of the old RPG games like Ishar, Drakkhen or the original Neverwinter Nights (-91)?

There are some of those oldies available with screenshots here: http://www.abandonwaredos.com

MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Could it have been the old Lords of Midnight? MobyGames doesn't mention the DOS version but I've seen some (unofficial?) DOS version of the game (not this) on some CD compilation at cd.textfiles.com.

Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

maikaregion

Post by maikaregion »

Thanks everyone, I'm 99% sure that it is The Lords of Midnight-at least the screen shots look to be nearly exactly what I remember. The problem is I'm having trouble finding a version of the game to play on the PC. When I do I'll let you guys know.

Thanks again

dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Fan website:
http://www.oocities.org/timessquare/for ... night.html
Links to Chris Wild's place, seems to working on ports/remakes.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.

MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

maikaregion wrote:The problem is I'm having trouble finding a version of the game to play on the PC.
I think the version I referred to is this one: MIDNIGHT.ZIP

Totally no idea if this is official or not though.