Old dos? wireframe dungeon crawl

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
Xediquis

Old dos? wireframe dungeon crawl

Post by Xediquis »

I've tried like crazy to find out what this old game is. I played it in the late 80s or early 90s on the computer and I think it was on dos 5.25. It was wireframe like Swords of Glass. The only things I remember about it is that you moved around killing monsters and they would drop weapons that you would then pick up. One of the first weapons is a knife, and later you get a gun. You also come across piles of cubes that restore health. I vaguely recall one of the first monsters looking like a green square with legs and hands, but not too sure about that.

I've done multiple Google searches, looked at Wikipedia articles with lists of games and gone through all the dos ones from 85-90. It must be pretty obscure.

dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Mayhaps one of the (older) Wizardry games?
http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/wizardry-games
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.

Xediquis

Post by Xediquis »

That first one is kinda close but not the one I'm thinking of. The difference is Wizardry seems to have the exploration and battles separate, the one I'm thinking of has the battles as you explore (almost like nethack, but first person).

MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Have you looked through the list at MobyGames? You could also try browsing the collections of RPG games at archive.org's Classic PC Games archive.

Since you mention a gun, could it be Alien Fires?

Xediquis

Post by Xediquis »

I remember in my search I saw Alien Fires and it looked really close, but unfortunately that's not the one. Thanks for the links, I scoured them but didn't find what I was looking for.

I may be wrong, but I think that each monster was the same but with different weapons (knife, sword, axe, gun, etc). It looked a lot like Alien Fires but even less detail with the monsters.

Xediquis

I looking again

Post by Xediquis »

I decided to start researching this again, desperate to find this game. It was a wireframe, I believe it had green wires (similar to 3-demon) but each level you would fight these green square baddies. First level you were unarmed but when you fight the baddie with a knife then you had a knife. Next level you fought one with a sword so you can get the sword. Next level was axe, next was gun, etc.

The other thing I remember is that as you moved through the maze you'd stumble upon small colorful cubes, sometimes just a couple, and sometime a bunch, lying on the ground, and these gave you health.

Sound familiar to anyone else?

MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Not one of those Moraff's games?

Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Long shot, but you might look through lists of commodore pet games, and other 8bit computers. Many dos games back then were ports or inspired by them. That green could be the monochrome monitor instead of the game, or imitating one.