"Find felix"??? [Solved]

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.

"Find felix"??? [Solved]

Post by Guest »

I was not 10 years old when I played this, my dad bought it at a computer convention. One of those old floppy shareware games you could buy on someones table.

It was an adventure game where you had to type in commands. You were a guy trying to find your cat. You started in a house and would have to type commands like open drawer, walk outside, go left, etc. I think you could fall off a cliff at some point but the whole point was to find your cat. I think maybe he was hiding in a phonebooth but i think that might have been a 7 year old dream. I have been looking for this game for years, and it has absolutely nothing to do with felix the cat™ with the round head, i THINK the game is called "Find Felix" but i think that may be just what i called it as a kid, because google tells me nothing. Any clues!?!?

Novah

Post by Novah »

Oops, i created my account but forgot to login, i am the author of this post. I really want to find this ive been looking for years! :thumbsup:

Novah

Post by Novah »

Does anyone have any ideas? :)

dosraider
Admin
Admin

Re: "Find felix"???

Post by dosraider »

Anonymous wrote:I was not 10 years old when I played this....
If you're twelve now the game is something as two years ... now yeah, it would be more helpfull to state the year when you played this game, don't you think....?
Anonymous wrote:.. my dad bought it at a computer convention. One of those old floppy shareware games you could buy on someones table.
Many of those never were released, or were only to find on shareware compils....

Maybe you can try to find it using Moby's year filter?
http://www.mobygames.com/

Also, great chances as you mentioned 'shareware' it will be on one of the many shareware compil CDs from that era, as are:
http://cd.textfiles.com/directory.html
... but without knowing the correct name it will be hard to find in those, google can't help you.

Also², great chances it could be in some BBBs archive as@
http://archives.thebbs.org/
Same remark, without correct name ..... :blah:
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.

Mandy

I played this too.

Post by Mandy »

I played this. I also called it "Find Felix". I'm pretty sure that was the name. I think the year was 92 or 93, and we had ordered it out of a computer catalog. It was one of the must frustrating games ever! At one point, I remember walking through a tunnel, and the cat meows, but I could never find it... And you could jump off of the cliff near the house, but it killed you and ended the game. Half of the time, the game didn't understand the typed commands, hence the reason I decided to jump off the cliff. Good times. I wish of could find this game again.

Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Hm, but there is someone out there named Felix G. Game that Google keeps trying to connect me to... :)

There is a Felix the Cat game out there, and lots of cat games are named Neko (Neco?), since it's apparently the Japanese word for cat.

Since Mandy remembers the game, probably it is just hard to find and you have the right title, but jic you want to try searching for alternates, that might help.

Novah

Post by Novah »

Mandy that is exactly the game. I remember the cliff and everything. I am 25 now, and i was very young then. early ninties i'd say. Any other people know this? mandy you are the only person ever that knows this game :O :love:

Novah

Post by Novah »

Might anyone else have any light to shed on this? I MUST FIND FELIX!

Also mandy you should contact me, perhaps we can figure this out together
WARNING: Please do NOT post your email address or other contact info here@gmail.com

*Do not post contact info on the board, we don't need snoopin'boardbots here, if 'Mandy' wants to cantact you she can register and use the PM/mail buttons. ~dosraider

Novah

Post by Novah »

PM Me then, Sorry for TOS Violation

sun

where's Felix the cat?

Post by sun »

holy crap , you are the only one that i have run into that knows this game. I too played it when i was 6 and have been searching for it for years! (now 25). I believe the game was called "Where's Felix the cat?" but am not 100 percent sure because i use to call it "find felix". I'm so upset cause i had the floppy disk stored in a box that was thrown away. hopefully the title givin is the correct one, maybe now you will have an easier time finding it although i haven't had much luck. Please let me know if you do find it, I am glad that someone out there has played the game and actually remembers it. I now do not feel crazy. I would like to give the game another try cause I have never gotten past level one, only to the point where the cat meows after walking through the tunnel. I believe that you are suppose to find a token to use for a door? Its funny cause i've tried jumping off the cliff many times and the response i would get was "don't feel like it right now, maybe later" lol

Rwolf

Post by Rwolf »

I have a shareware game called 'Find Felix' from -93 on a shareware CD bundle, but I have not yet been able to run it under DosBox.

I can see the few images in the game directory looks similar to what you describe.
It is a text commanded adventure of sorts, according to the documentation, with sparse graphics and some sprites.

The game is also available on one of the CD archive sites, cd.textfiles.com, but it's very hard to locate, as the site lacks a good search function - you have to look through all the likely CD:s manually which takes a while.

dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Rwolf wrote:The game is also available on one of the CD archive sites, cd.textfiles.com, but it's very hard to locate, as the site lacks a good search function - you have to look through all the likely CD:s manually which takes a while.
... google to the rescue ............
google search string wrote:"find Felix" +cdtextfiles
gives us:
google results wrote: cd.textfiles.com/somuch/smsharew3/SHARE3.TXT
* File Listing For The So Much Shareware /3 CD-ROM! *
and:
cdtextfiles wrote: FELIX.ZIP 191,728 01-16-92 Find Felix, Adventure Game For EGA+
Having the listing and correct name of the CD where it is located, not hard tofind said archive:

Brings us to:
http://cd.textfiles.com/somuch/smsharew ... /FELIX.ZIP
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.

Rwolf

Post by Rwolf »

Yep, that's the one.

Thankyou for the help, dosraider, I could have used it last night, I only saw the result in 'allfiles' at that site, with no cd name...so I took my time :-)

Anyway, it won't run in dosbox for me, so I can't say if it's the right one.
(I wanted to make a mobygames entry for it)

dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Yep, dosbox seems to have a problem with the game.
Will (maybe) take a look later ..... *(if* I find time.)

Rwolf

Post by Rwolf »

By examining the files, it seems to be a QuestMaker game.
Graphics requirement in the QM docs say it needs EGA 640x200 in 16 colors.

This is something that perhaps DosBox EGA cannot do, at least for the composite mode, according to what I read in the wiki.

(I also tried the DosBox VGA variants but to no avail)

ps. I found the QM dev kit at archive.org/details/QuestMaker
I'll try it out later.

Rwolf

Post by Rwolf »

I have now tested the development system used, and think it is a problem with QuestMaker itself, which does not run properly. It also contains a demo game which behaves the same in DosBox as the 'Find Felix' game, displaying some garbage in the intro screen and then locking up.

dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

I'm afraid the problem is a bit more complicated ...

Tried on my ol'P2/MsDos 6.22 PC, questmaker engine from archive.org and enclosed test games works now (had a 'divide by zero' with the original felix download), I also can access questmaker's menu screen (qm qmenu) and launch said test games, but not Find Felix, begin to think there are some missing files or: Felix is a borked game.

Maybe it's possible to get it running by mixing the files from questmaker(archive.org vers) with the Find Felix game itself, but that's a bit too time consuming for me now ...............
....or it simply won't run on anything higher than a real 486......?

ericj

Find Felix

Post by ericj »

Hi:

Just working on 2 old Win98 laptops and looking around to see if there are any MS-DOS things I forgot that I don't have and found this post.... I was the author of Find Felix. Unfortunately I don't think I even have a copy of it any more after a couple moves and so many years.

I do still have a few other things I wrote way back... not sure if anyone would be interested in them, they aren't like that game.

EricJ

Downloaded what was on the link someone left

Post by EricJ »

Will check to see if it's the game I put out, yes it was created using Questmaker, but I wrote somewhere around 50 programs during a few years in QuickBasic for MS-DOS and Visual Basic for Windows 3.1

Eric

Ericj

yes it is but it won't run

Post by Ericj »

I had problems running it for some reason later on when I had my original copy. Have 3 computers here with Win98 and MS-DOS and I get the divide by zero error on all three. Felix has since passed away so now nobody can find him.