Looking for a top down view tank game

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
ChrisNor

Looking for a top down view tank game

Post by ChrisNor »

The game I'm looking for had 2d graphics and had a top down view camera angle. It's probably from around 1995-1999. You had to choose either a light, medium or heavy tank in a 3d style menu. The mission was to shoot other tanks in a city. You could also destroy buildings and pick up mines and missiles. I got it from a CD with lots of demos and shareware games.
Super Smash Bros. Fan

Post by Super Smash Bros. Fan »

Did it feature Army Men toys and what comptuer system did it originate at? If so to the former, then prehaps I might be able to help, despite not originally owning the games myself.
An Nintendo gamer that just is getting into DOS games. Nice to see you guys!

Currently playing: Prince of Persia [MS-DOS] and Jetpack [MS-DOS]
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
ChrisNor

Post by ChrisNor »

I played it on windows 95, and no it didn't have any army men toys. Firepower is too old, it got newer graphics.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Not Firepower then, is it at least in the same vein? Point of view and such ...?

And it's not because you played the game in W95 it ain't a dos game ....
Much of those shareware compilation CDs were filled with ol'dos softs.
Sometimes they added a W95 launch menu, but that's about it, the softs were mainly dos( cheap stuff ...)
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
ChrisNor

Post by ChrisNor »

Yeah, It's in the same point of view and such, but with better graphics. There were perhaps some helicopters too now that I think about it.
KT_Cobra

Post by KT_Cobra »

Recreational Warfare?
Best board game ever! Remember Hero Quest?
ChrisNor

Post by ChrisNor »

Nope.
R. Johnson

DOS tank game

Post by R. Johnson »

I know the one you're talking about - I played it too. And I don't remember what it's called, either. It was a pretty cool game hunting down enemy tanks. the AI was decent, too.
koshlantis

Post by koshlantis »

I've also been looking for this game, but no luck finding it either.

I remember the level on the demo disc I had (circa 1998) was in some kind of city, plenty of buildings to blow up... And at specific points aircraft would fly over and bomb you (dropping five-ish bombs in a row)... I don't know if this would jog anyone's memory, but I've been looking for a while and it's getting on my nerves now. =(

Also, I believe the turret could be turned independently of the tank itself? Not certain though.
Calso

Post by Calso »

I believe the game you are looking for is called Return Fire.
PhoenixEE

Post by PhoenixEE »

Found this topic while google-ing for the same description, the game is Mass Destruction (1997, DOS)