Sidescrolling RTS

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
Chuckiferd

Sidescrolling RTS

Post by Chuckiferd »

I think I remember playing a game that had a 2D battlefield with 2 spawn bases, one is yours, the other is the enemies. The spawn bases release a trooper that automatically advances toward the enemy base.

The object is to advance your troops to the enemy spawn base to destroy the enemy base and therefore win.

You are in control of a T-copter or dropship, or something of the sort. You would wait by your spawn point for your troops to fill up your copter/dropship then would try to fly across the battlefield, which is filled with AA guns, enemy planes, and enemy troops. You normally have both manual bombs and automatic rear and forward machine guns

Meanwhile there is a battle between the two opposing factions, as the troops near each other they shoot at each other until one or another dies. The troops capture points on the field such as anti-troop machine gun emplacements, AA gun emplacements, and bunkers, these protect the troops and help secure a deffendable foothold against enemy bombers/planes and advancing troops.

Anybody heard of it or reconize it? If not, don't steal this idea cause I plan to create a mock-up of it. :laugh:
greencosmos
Expert
Expert

Post by greencosmos »

That's likely Taso you are talking about. I remember it being a nice game with memorable music, but very buggy.

EDIT: blast it, you made me try it again!
Kilo Bravo

Post by Kilo Bravo »

Gotta try this. Sounds interesting. A LOT.
Join me one in all in the neverending search for the Great Game.
greencosmos
Expert
Expert

Post by greencosmos »

Yeah well, now I even made a video of it for anyone who is interested:

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=DT_kDnLJm4c
Chuckiferd

Maybe not an RTS

Post by Chuckiferd »

Well that is close but not what I remember, I remember it not being so complex, I remember a much less 'psicadellic' game that was much more simple, it was as simple as you control a TCopter and simply do what you can to support your home base, so I guess it wasn't a RTS persay.

I would still like to write the game, however I am a novice programmer and have absolutely no experience with graphical games or graphics at all, I have only written small text programming. Unfortunatly I think this will be much harder than a simple 'Guess the number' game lol.

So, since it is not my idea and since I suck at programming, I urge anybody with the ability to write up this game, since I would love to simply play it again lol, as long of course as it is legal to make a mock-up.

Post by Guest »

P.S. I just remembered I recently saw a mock up a cheesy _X_games-in-1 product, I believe the product was some 6-in-1 Star Wars: Clone Wars that I got one of my nephews (who broke it soon after, good Chinese quality products!) for christmas a few years back. It was much more dumbed down, having only destructable AAguns and being a Star Wars style dropship it was rigged out with bombs and lasers so that the dropship was the toughest unit on the field. (which wasn't the case with the original)

Anyways this is what triggered the flashback, another flashback, Yay!
Chuckiferd

Post by Chuckiferd »

That last post was me, I didn't put in my name

Anyways I can't get Taos to work on my computer, I am getting a message like

Stub exec failed:
dos4gw.exe
No such file or directory

I installed Dos4gw but when I tried running that I got another error message :angry:
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

For those who are interested in the further adventures of our dear Chuckiferd, he jumped there:
http://www.dosgames.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1478#91478

:laugh:
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
greencosmos
Expert
Expert

Post by greencosmos »

Chuckiferd wrote:That last post was me, I didn't put in my name

Anyways I can't get Taos to work on my computer, I am getting a message like

Stub exec failed:
dos4gw.exe
No such file or directory

I installed Dos4gw but when I tried running that I got another error message :angry:
Did you put Dos4gw in the Taso directory?

EDIT: NVM. :blah:
legraf

Post by legraf »

Another possibility, certainly it meets most of the description provided by Chuckiferd, is Armor Alley. Two spawn bases can send out infantry, tanks, missle launchers, electronics vans, engineers - and you just control the helicopter, which can pick up/drop infantry, as well as use machine gun, missles, and bombs to support your advancing troops.