A space themed deathmatch-y game

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
Bloke

A space themed deathmatch-y game

Post by Bloke »

First, I'd like to thank Dosraider properly for finding Rats! for me and my friend.

Second, I'm looking for another demo of a game me and my cousin used to play, a top-down 2d space themed game, in which you controlled a spaceship, and hunted down other spaceships deathmatch style, which is what I assume from all the respawning.

We really can't remember much, except for a few details:

Big clouds of dust slowed down your spaceship, as well as floating barriers which blocked the ship's progress.

You could pick up circular powerups which gave you weapons with fancy sounding names like 'novas' and supernovas', as well as gadgets such as smokescreens.

There was a minimap which displayed the location of other ships and powerups (I think).

It was a demo with only one level, and internet play (although we never went online coz we were too young to understand).

And lastly, the thing that stands out most in my head: a ship in the shape of an old American car, which may have been beige, which a secondary turret.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

dosraider si dosraider la .... lol.

But this time you're looking for a needle in a haystack.
It will be one of the legio Raptor/Tyrian clones....
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/rapto ... he-shadows
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/tyrian
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/tyrian-2000

That is if you meant a vertical scrollin'schmup.
Beside the vertical ones the're also the thousands of horizontal scrolling ones and the 'all directions' ones.

With that description of yours it will be pure luck if someone can point you to it.
BTW, those 'nova' powerups, they almost all have that kind of things.

Maybe those 'smokescreens'? Sounds a bit special. But doesn't ring a bell.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

I *vaguely* remember playing a game like this when I was 9 or 10... did it have randomized missions which you could go on?

Not that it helps much, I don't remember the name or anything more than you do. It's the oldest genre of computer games (ever since Spacewar), and probably has the most titles released.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Thanks for the suggestions, but I it's neither of them - it's an all-directions one, and definitely running in about 600 by 800 res, with rotating sprites. I don't think it ran in dos either.

It was only a demo with one level set in the void of space, just stars, no objectives, no turrets or bases to blow up, must have been just deathmatch. I think it was newer than your suggestions, maybe 1995+ ?

Yeah, I realise the description may have been vague, but I thought the sedan ship might have been a big clue.
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

There's also Wings, freeware by Miika Virpioja, obtainable here. Also sprout out an online sequel.

Doesn't really fit the description but...
<center>
abyss wrote:I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Aw man, Wings 2 looked really promising, similar sounding guns and gadgets, but it wasn't it. It's definately closer to the game I'm looking for than Raptor or Tryian, though.
greencosmos
Expert
Expert

Post by greencosmos »

Would Assault Wing be even closer?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Yeah, the game was pretty much along the same lines as Assault Wing and Wings 2 gameplay-wise. Graphics wise, not so much - my cousin's game had more modern graphics, though not as detailed, and the hud was a black bar that ran along the right side of the screen, chat text being displayed in the lower left. Also, you can't select your own ship - in the game I'm looking for, there were about 15-20 ships to choose from, one of them being the sedan. I don't recall split-screen either.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

<a href="http://subspace.legendzones.com/screens ... ntinuum</a> (aka: subspace)? I don't remember much about that game, though.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

It's very, very similar to Continuum, graphics and gameplay wise, although I highly doubt the gameplay was as detailed as Continuum's.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Remember Continuum has been around for a long time, and was originally called Subspace. It might have been in earlier, more primitive version.
Kilo Bravo

Post by Kilo Bravo »

I don't know, but Bloke's game seems even more interesting than Continuum though. And I've played SubSpace for quite a while. Novas and supernovas are something I'd like to see.
Join me one in all in the neverending search for the Great Game.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I took a look, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't Subspace.