Evasive Maneuvers [>> On site, new addition :)]

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

No idea, and that's indeed the whole problem.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Jens

Post by Jens »

Did anyone ever try to contact this guy at the address given on the ad for the game? (Or wasn't there an address?)
If no one did so, maybe I try sometime soon - although I live in Germany. So if anyone's nearer to him and would like to try - maybe it's worth a shot.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Emmzee: you're technically so close you could just drive there... though I dunno how he'd feel if some random guy shows up at his house "excuse me, I met you online once, and tracked you down... don't mind the chainsaw"
Jens

Post by Jens »

Well yeah - maybe that indeed would be kinda weird. But checking, if he still lives there would be enough. I'd volunteer to write a small letter then - and that should give us the answer, whether the full version exists and is still available or not.

In theory I could of course also write a letter beforehand, so that emmzee wouldn't have to drive there two times, but just checks, if the lives there and then throw it into his postbox. You could sign this too, as you're speaking for a large group of dosgamers.

Of course chances are, that the game really doesn't exist (anymore). But even that sure knowledge would be worth something, as it saves people to search in vain for it.

Let me know, what you think about the idea.
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

Yea given that the text file listing his address was written around 12 years ago, the changes of him still living there are slim at best. Also, yeah, I'm sure my parents wouldn't appreciate it if some random guy showed up at my house because I was dumb enough to list their address in some old ZZT game or something lol :rolleyes:

But yeah trying writing a letter, if you really want the game it's worth a shot. :thumbsup:
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

emmzee wrote:... if you really want the game it's worth a shot.
I totally agree, those chainsaws are overestimated.
Heavy grain, yay.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Jens

Post by Jens »

Hey folks,
just for your information: About one week ago I finally wrote a letter to Mr. Blackwell's address. In case he doesn't live there anymore, I should get it back in the not too far future. I'll keep you informed.

Best regards
Jens
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

Dogbreath wrote:emmzee: sent!

FWIW, I'm almost positive it was the real Chris Blackwell - his ISP is Rogers Ontario (phone company that pwns everything there).
Old post, I Know... but I'm gonna have to say that Bell is the one that dominates here, as far as telephony goes. Rogers internet brags about being fast and reliable, but they actually filter and throttle every encrypted packet that goes through them. That's how they're trying to prevent torrents from going through... because obviously <a href="http://linuxtracker.org/">all</a> <a href="http://torrentfreak.com/legal-torrents- ... orrents</a> <a href="http://newteevee.com/2007/03/03/ten-sit ... s/">are</a> <a href="http://www.youtorrent.com/">illegal</a>...
Chris Blackwell

Post by Chris Blackwell »

Hello again. I didn't want to come back to the forum with bad news, so I didn't speak up... until today. The other half of Evasive Maneuvers, Colin, has found his source disk and was able to pull together a seemingly working version while he watched Mad Men. He sent it over to me and for the first time in 13 years I played the three registered levels.

Jens, I was forwarded the excellent letter you sent to my 1994 address. Thanks for that.

I'll be whipping up a little webpage where you can download the full game (for free). Colin wanted to test the game to the end to see if it works, but neither of us can make it to the end anymore.

I'll update you all shortly.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Excellent! BTW, once you get the full version up, is it okay if we upload it to dosgames.com? Or do you want to keep it fairly exclusive?
Chris Blackwell

Post by Chris Blackwell »

The epic journey of Evasive Maneuvers is now coming to a close. From shareware game to obscure lost oddity to... obscure discovered oddity. I now present to you, the Evasive Maneuvers website:

http://www.errorwear.com/evasive/

Thanks for Solidarity_296 and Jens for their tireless quest and dosgames.com for making it all possible. I linked back to this thread from the Evasive Maneuvers page.

(And thanks Dogbreath, but we'd like to keep the full game on the Evasive Maneuvers site, so anyone downloading it can get the full backstory and Evasive Maneuvers experience.)
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Added your post on the sticky one
http://www.dosgames.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2854#92854

Thank you for this game.
:clap:
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

This is fantastic! Excellent work, Chris!

I added a link to your site in the game description, along with a synopsis on your work and a recommendation that they donate, so hopefully you'll get a couple hits from us. (also, respecting your wishes, we're still only offering the shareware version for download)

http://www.dosgames.com/g_spa.php

This really made my day. Thank you. :)
Kilo Bravo

Post by Kilo Bravo »

Well, because of the resurrection, I'd bet that the fanbase won't be limited to three anymore. I'll give the shareware a whirl.
Join me one in all in the neverending search for the Great Game.
Solidarity_296

Who'd have thought?

Post by Solidarity_296 »

Chris, my complements off to you. I think I've been searching for this since I was... what? I can't remember anymore. You made a great little game, and I'm glad to see it known at last. If your ever in Australia, I owe you a beer. I owe you a keg! I owe you sixteen years of kegs! Thank you so much for this.