Discover the World??? Can't remember!!!

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
Heath

Discovery

Post by Heath »

Hey lenny, any chance you can send pics, maybe screen shots??

Discover the world

Post by Guest »

I have an electronic copy. I had it installed on an old desktop I recently got rid of. The only problem is I don't have the CD key, but I don't know the difference between the demo (which you can play without the key) and the full game.
VietPDX

Discover the World

Post by VietPDX »

Sorry, I've been Lurking this forum for a while and I've also been looking for said game.

The closest game I can find is Discover the World II for windows.

Its available here:

www. <snipped>

Downloads for Abandonware is here

www . <snipped>

(sorry wasn't able to post a link, but you know how to get there)

[Edit] links snipped, not allowed, read the rulez please ~dosraider
VietPDX

whups sorry

Post by VietPDX »

sorry, I didn't read the rules, but the game exists and with a quick google search, you can find it relatively quickly on an abandonware site.

Post by Guest »

Did a google search and found a reference to "Discover the World" in a periodical called The Latest and Best of TESS: The Educational Software Selector. Hit a dead end there though. Hopefully this tidbit will help someone else find some more info.
GGekko

Post by GGekko »

"Discovery: In the Steps of Columbus" ?
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Was it "In Search of Carmen Sandiego" or something like that? I am not sure however it was a game that tries to teach geography around the entire world. You learn about the countries and such?
God, Jesus Christ, is number one!hehe
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Then please bless my mom.
Honour to my mom Huong Thi Vu
Honour to my dad Thuy Binh Nguyen
Love to cousin Carl Anh Cuong Cao Vu
Thank you Jesus Christ.
DirtyDan

The game's name is "Discover the World"

Post by DirtyDan »

Amazing game. You'd have on ship and start out in one of 5(?) ports heading out to map and trade your way around the world. You could capture pirate ships and grow your fleet. So much fun.

I remember playing with the teacher's disk because you could turn off the annoying history questions that would pop up.

The best part of my post, and I'm not sure OP is still around 7 years later (LOL), [b]but an emulation of the game can be found on archive.org[/b] . Just search for Discover the World --> software and it's in two old apple collections.

Unfortunately, I can't get the darn thing to load on any of my browsers (Firefox/Edge/IE)... if someone else has some luck, could they report back please?
ynaq

Post by ynaq »

Bangarang! I got the Apple version of the game playing. Ages ago i played it on DOS, 100% sure, but i haven't found evidence that game exists. Still:
The Archive dot org files indicated above are, i think, the main disc (.../details/Discover_The_World_1987-Entrex_Software) and 2nd disc (.../details/Discover_The_World_1987-Entrex_Software_side_B) and they run well enough in Applewin which i downloaded from "emutopia."
Dtw

Post by Dtw »

Has anyone got this to work? I remember a lot about it. You picked from about 4 or so cities all in Europe. Lisbon was one of them and it was like the best one because it was furthest southwest by a small bit. That was how I first ever heard of Lisbon lol. A good start was to go toward Brazil and trade for gems and or trinkets. If you did go toward China or Japan early on or right away especially, you got an Orient bonus for discovering it early. Though it was sometimes hard to even survive the trip and really hard to make it profitable until you had more ships and resources. You had the option to manually sail around coastal areas or you could "map terrain" where the ships would go slower but it gave you a perfect outline of the land.

I think you could get point bonuses for lots of other things than discovering the orient. I think you got a bonus for mapping a major portion of a continent or country completely. I remember reading guides about the game with kinda detailed strategies. I remember the combat and pirates attacking you stuff was actually kinda hard, or not easy to tell what the game mechanics were doing. Even if you won a battle against the pirates or whoever you lost like half your fleet. Fleet size was so important cause then you could carry more goods and trinkets to trade. This was always a major setback though maybe it was something you were just supposed to take it and keep going.

If you went towards North America or Canada of course the main thing to trade was furs. I remember it always seemed more profitable to just go to South America. The orient was definitely spices but I also think there was more to it than just spices. Even though I usually gave up after pirates or someone would take out over half my fleet, I do think there were people that progressed in the game very far. It would be really fun to experiment with!