MS-DOS 6 on a Microsoft Network?

Want to talk about your hardware setup? Brag about your super-machine's layout? Pretend you know a lot about computers? You can do all that and more in this forum.
Tombstone
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

MS-DOS 6 on a Microsoft Network?

Post by Tombstone »

I suppose I already know the answer to this, but...

I have an ISA Ethernet card and a PC/AT 386 running DOS6. Is it possible to connect this machine to a Microsoft Windows Peer2Peer Network?

All I want to do is transfer files without doing the floppy-floppy shuffle.
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

Mate i doubt it. Dos was not built for networking.> Im sure there are programs out there that run network support. Have a look around on google for "Dos Networking"
johngUK

Post by johngUK »

And it dosen't get much easier in Windows 95 either. I'm trying to set up a peer-to-peer between my Windows XP Home and my Windows 95 comp and i ain't getting anywhere with it.

Of course i'm listening if anyones got any ideas.
GameMaster.EXE
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by GameMaster.EXE »

johngUK wrote:And it dosen't get much easier in Windows 95 either. I'm trying to set up a peer-to-peer between my Windows XP Home and my Windows 95 comp and i ain't getting anywhere with it.

Of course i'm listening if anyones got any ideas.
Hmm....interesting. I'll look into that. Right now I'm suspecting the use of outdated software or the fact that communication isn't Win95's best talent. Could you explain the problem in more detail?
johngUK

Post by johngUK »

OK...I'm using the Ethernet ports to set up the peer-to-peer connection. So in my Windows XP i run the Network Setup wizard to configure the connection but then you must do the same on the other machine. The Network Setup wizard will create a floppy which you can use to run the wizard on machines that have Windows 98/98 SE/2000....ect but NOT Windows 95.
And as regards communication not being Win 95' strong point, I disagree because there is a way to do it but the research i have done suggests it is hard to do unless you are experianced in Networking. It's just that Networking in Windows 95 shall we say isn't user friendly.
Whereas of course using the Network Setup Wizard is as easy as 1-2-3.
GameMaster.EXE
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by GameMaster.EXE »

Then it must be a compatibility problem. I say it's time to upgrade your Win95 to Win98SE. (Mines too :P ) There be a version difference between Network Setup or something. But it's definitly a compatibility problem.

Also, I never said Win95 can't communicate (I should know, I'm using Win95) It very well can but it's just that it's not very good at it. Yes, you could say it's not user friendly.
johngUK

Post by johngUK »

Nah i think i'll leave my Win95 pentium as it is. I have a Pentium 2 that i've had since new which has Win98 installed. I have networked it to my XP computer with no probs.