Hard Drive Problem

Want to talk about your hardware setup? Brag about your super-machine's layout? Pretend you know a lot about computers? You can do all that and more in this forum.
pedersencato

Hard Drive Problem

Post by pedersencato »

Hey everybody, I have a pentium-S 200mhz computer, it's got a Samsung sp0411N 40 GB harddrive, it's worked as long as we've had it until i recently reformatted, now it reads disk read error. I think it's set wrong in the bios, so what i need is numbers for the "type, size, cyls, head, precomp, landz"(all read firectly from bios) as the auto setting does not set it right. any help will be appreaciated in advance.
jmmijo
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by jmmijo »

I'm thinking that you had to use some kind of Drive Overlay software to make that HD work with an older system like yours. However, is this HD connected to a third party controller card or connected to the motherboard IDE controller port ?!?

If it's the latter then you will need to find that floppy disk that came with the HD and install that Drive Overlay software again. This will allow the older BIOS to properly support that capacity HD ;)
Suck it down!

Post by Guest »

the harddrive came with no disks, and i don't really know what drive overlay is so i'm going to ask for some more help. Now, I took the old harddrive that was in the computer (a seagate 2 or 3 GB one) and set windows up on that drive, rebootoed and it said something to the effect of error loading Operating system, which has lead me to beleive there's actually a major problem somewhere. BTW, when I put the 40GB hdd on auto in the BIOS it reads 4655mb, mode 4, LBA.
jmmijo
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by jmmijo »

Anonymous wrote:the harddrive came with no disks, and i don't really know what drive overlay is so i'm going to ask for some more help. Now, I took the old harddrive that was in the computer (a seagate 2 or 3 GB one) and set windows up on that drive, rebootoed and it said something to the effect of error loading Operating system, which has lead me to beleive there's actually a major problem somewhere. BTW, when I put the 40GB hdd on auto in the BIOS it reads 4655mb, mode 4, LBA.
You can pick up a third-party ATA controller card for pretty cheap anymore, I prefer Promise but there are so many name and generic brands now so what ever fits your budget you should look for.

My guess is that the onboard controller is having some issues, if you place a separate ATA controller card into a PCI slot and connect the 40GB HD to that controller card, see if things start to work properly.

Since you mentioned what the onboard BIOS is reporting back to you, you would most certainly need that drive overlay software to make the onboard BIOS see the entire 40GB of storage :)

The drive overlay software is usually on a floppy disk and it comes by many different names, like Maxblast for Maxtor HD's. Normally you only get these disks when you purchase a RATAIL boxed HD and not the bare/OEM drives ;)

You can also d/l this software from most if not all of the manufacturers web sites.
Suck it down!
pedersencato

Post by pedersencato »

The thing I don't understand tho, is that the 40GB worked before on it's own, and now suddenly it doesn't want to. And yes, my drive was a OEM one that can just in a antistatic bag.
jmmijo
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by jmmijo »

pedersencato wrote:The thing I don't understand tho, is that the 40GB worked before on it's own, and now suddenly it doesn't want to. And yes, my drive was a OEM one that can just in a antistatic bag.
Well like I said, it's possible that the onboard IDE controller just gave up the ghost so to speak ;)

Remember this motherboard is getting on in age and sometimes the electronics can just go.

However, if you want a direct mobo replacement, look around schools and such and see if they are giving away older P1/P2 boxes. You maybe able to find something very similar in specs to what you have for nothing or next to nothing :D
Suck it down!
pedersencato

Post by pedersencato »

would the following card work for me?:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... &CatId=508

remember I don't have the ability to use windows on the computer
Kazer0
<i>Mercenary Dishwasher</i>

Post by Kazer0 »

Or better: Update your BIOS. Old motherboards had a block at 5gb, 8gb, 16gb, 32gb, and 78gb. Look for a BIOS update first.
pedersencato

Post by pedersencato »

Hurray for forums! I went out today and bought a Promise Ultra 100 Tx2 ATA/100 PCI Card
Price : $45.95
and it seems to be working great. I'm on the second part of the XP install(the more then 4 colour part, lol) and it's been running flawlessly. :thumbsup: Thanks to all. :)
fabiobol
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by fabiobol »

So, you are saying that, if the bios couldn't see an hard disk, i could use a PCI ata controller for using the drive? Because, if it is true, I will go out now and i will buy an ata-controller. I'm going to build a computer for dos games, using internet, listen to music and, of course, making tests. I'm going to buy a Pentium-MMX 200 MHz, i hope with a MB with agp and dimm support. If i wanted to use a SERIAL ATA HARD DISK, could i install a PCI controller? I'm not mad, but I just want to try... imagine: if it runs, i will install windows xp... on a pentium 200... and than, i will Play GTAIII (if the video card is strong enough) and some things like these....
pedersencato

Post by pedersencato »

yes you would want a Sata pci controller card because I there are no P2 boards with SATA onboard (As Far As I Know). That systemshould be able to run XP (mine does, P1-200mhz). By the way, I doubt you'd be able to play GTA III on a P2 no matter how fast a video card you had.
fabiobol
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by fabiobol »

Your Pentium 200 runs Windows XP, then! If it isn't a problem, could you write me your hardware configuration? It's a Pentium-S or a Pentium-MMX?
pedersencato

Post by pedersencato »

It's a Pentium-S 200mhz
It had 80MB of ram but now only 64, and it still runs
40GB HD
8MB Video card