Archive extraction errors on Win98 comp

Want to talk about your hardware setup? Brag about your super-machine's layout? Pretend you know a lot about computers? You can do all that and more in this forum.
Aldeb
Expert
Expert

Archive extraction errors on Win98 comp

Post by Aldeb »

My Win98 comp can't extract archives properly.

here's my thing. I compress a file or whatever in rar and write it on a DVD using my laptop and try to extract it on my win98SE computer. I get a file corruption error on most archives. Why is this? Everything works normally on my laptop but not on my pc. even if i copy the archive and extract off disc, i still get the error.

which drive is to blame?

the other thing is that i can't get my flash stick to run on the win98 comp. The usb ports worked when it had xp (it's a 1999 machine) but it doesn't work with 98. Do i need to format it in some way?
Aldeb
Expert
Expert

Post by Aldeb »

Scratch that last one. my usb sticks were indeed ntfs. formated one in fat and it works. can't believe i didn't think of it before
Certified 16-bit Troll
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Re: Archive extraction errors on Win98 comp

Post by dosraider »

Aldeb wrote:My Win98 comp can't extract archives properly.

here's my thing. I compress a file or whatever in rar and write it on a DVD using my laptop and try to extract it on my win98SE computer. I get a file corruption error on most archives. Why is this? Everything works normally on my laptop but not on my pc. even if i copy the archive and extract off disc, i still get the error.

which drive is to blame?
Missing vital info here Aldeb:
Soft used on your laptop to create archive?
Soft used to burn DVD?
Soft used on W98?

Some advisable softs:
7zip for W98 http://www.oldapps.com/7zip.php?system=Windows_98
Imgburn http://www.imgburn.com/
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Aldeb
Expert
Expert

Post by Aldeb »

Laptop: Winrar 4.0 / Nero 6.0
PC: Win 3.0
Don't get any rar corruption errors on laptop.
Matter of fact, i'll downgrade real quick and see if there's a difference after that.
Certified 16-bit Troll