server stuff....

Want to talk about your hardware setup? Brag about your super-machine's layout? Pretend you know a lot about computers? You can do all that and more in this forum.
Gameman Advanced Kid

server stuff....

Post by Gameman Advanced Kid »

i was thinking of hosting some game servers. on the Pentium Dual core server i am trying to make.

specs are E5200, 1gb of ram, and windows 7. rest is pretty much overkill for any game you guys have here on your website xD

i wanted to host some old DS game servers on this intel PDC for some fun. like doom DS, duke nukem DS, and so on.

any suggestions? whatever it is, ill host it...except crysis DS.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

....Unreal?
Now with the 'Unreal anthology' release it seems Unreal(1) gets some revival....
Classic COOP, classic DM, custom maps .... etcetera etcetera.
Gamers go kinda back to the roots.

Wonders if your server gonna be one of the so many today on/tomorrow down/ next day back on/etcetera servers .....
Gameman Advanced Kid wrote: 1gb of ram
:huh:
1GB on W7 ? Bit low for server duty if you ask me.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Gameman Advanced Kid

dosraider wrote:....Unreal?
Now with the 'Unreal anthology' release it seems Unreal(1) gets some revival....
Classic COOP, classic DM, custom maps .... etcetera etcetera.
Gamers go kinda back to the roots.

Wonders if your server gonna be one of the so many today on/tomorrow down/ next day back on/etcetera servers .....
Gameman Advanced Kid wrote: 1gb of ram
:huh:
1GB on W7 ? Bit low for server duty if you ask me.
runs fine actually. its good for some old school server hosting and internet surfing. i do plan on adding more when funds come in or when someone wants to give me some ddr2 memory for free.

EDIT: i take it you want unreal tournament 1999? or just unreal?
Gameman Advanced Kid

cant seem to find the DS files to host unreal.

am i supposed to own a copy of it myself?
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Gameman Advanced Kid wrote:am i supposed to own a copy of it myself?
Yes, of course.
And also yes, by Unreal I mean "Unreal", not UT, as I almost never play DM ....... but if you want folks visiting your server you'll better run UT2004, much more players then on Unreal.
Unreal is in fact fading out you could say.

Another still successful game in multiplayer is of course Serious Sam, be it SS1 ,SS2 or SS3. Plenty players .....
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Gameman Advanced Kid

i was actually thinking of downloading and hosting one of the games that can be downloaded from dosgames.com. i assumed that at least some of those games would have been your favorite ones...

i do own a STEAM copy of Unreal gold. dunno if it would be okay to grab the files from there and host the DS.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Unreal Gold server?
Depends what version you'll run.
If 226f 226b clients can't join or something, let say there a re some issues with server Unreal Gold 226f, forgot what exactly, but all server info is findable at oldunreal.com

One word of advise, don't overload with all kinds of mods and weird stuffs, people usually don't like to have to download/install all kinds of unknown mods, just saying, take it or leave it...

If coop server you certainly will need some protection against lamers, genre Jcoopz or Nephthys.
Gameman Advanced Kid wrote:i was actually thinking of downloading and hosting one of the games that can be downloaded from dosgames.com. i assumed that at least some of those games would have been your favorite ones...
Still play some of those, but in fact only two online, to know Doom (1-2) and Duke3D.
But never the originals online.
For Doom it's Doomsday or Skulltag.
For Duke3D it's eDuke32.

Sadly enough most servers hosting Doom or Duke have become a brainless slaughter play, so when I (or we ...) decide to do a round of Doom/Duke we usually create our own password protected server. Keeps the lamers away.

Other older games aren't really interesting online, except for DM addicts, and as I am a fervent COOP fan ..... says enough i guess, not my cup of tea.

BTW, if it's your goal to set up an online gaming community here on DGames, I don't think you gonna succeed, not enough will be interested I'm afraid, and we're a very small community, not enough regulars for such thing.
Been tried before, last was with Skulltag, fun for a week or two, and bleeds slowly down to dead .....
But there are enough other 'online gaming' communities, more than enough.

Also: other game that is still alive online:
Doom 3 (yes yes, sucker in SP but a pretty good game online, certainly in COOP mode....)
Return to Castle Wolfenstein (Same, COOP is kinda good)

etcetera etcetera ..... all other DM CTF or whatever modern and brainless 'slaughterfest' online games are flourishing ..... CS someone? Not me ....