Dreaming of E-Paper display to play IF games...

Want to talk about your hardware setup? Brag about your super-machine's layout? Pretend you know a lot about computers? You can do all that and more in this forum.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Dreaming of E-Paper display to play IF games...

Post by Quadko »

I love my kindle, it makes such a difference to reading on monitors. It'd be great to be able to play IF games on an e-paper display like the modern book readers all have.

Of course, one can play on any of the ereaders with a browser, but that's not quite what I had in mind - what you gain in screen you lose in input method.

I see lots of talk about epaper computer monitors, but none for sale yet. Monochrome would be just fine! I hope they are coming soon. Doesn't take much in the way of technical specs to play Zork or Supernova.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

I found Mac instructions earlier, but this time I found windows instructions how to VNC a jailbroken kindle and use it as a monitor:

http://www.techhive.com/article/259582/ ... #tk.hp_new

So technically, this dream could be a reality with a little cash on the barrel-head. I'll have to think about that! If only cash were more readily available. :)
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

<- wonders if is this something really useful?

Also: jailbreaking such devices means losing guaranty I thought?
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

True, mostly just for fun. But reading a book on e-paper screen is great, but I never have been able to do it for long on a monitor. Kindle much better than iPad for books. That made me wonder about IF.

Also, yes, jailbreaking means Amazon won't help if something goes wrong. But they don't seem to mind compared to the way Apple gets offended - they just say you're on your own after a jailbreak. However, I won't be doing it with my one-and-only book reading kindle, just in case! (My precious, my birthday present.) But I could see maybe buying a used one just for this purpose? I'm tempted.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Ok, couldn't resist on payday. I've ordered a used kindle and hopefully it comes for the weekend. I'll give it a try and report the results. How much a cheater is it to use a map for Zork 1-2-3? :D And probably my newly remembered Enchanted Castle and finally finish Supernova first, if I make it that far.

I'll let ya'll know how it goes!
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Quadko wrote:... How much a cheater is it to use a map for Zork 1-2-3? :D....
Depends, if you're playing such games to have a pleasant moment, you best use maps.
On the other hand, if you're a die hard fan of the genre and want to 'beat' the game, you're cheating.

.... depends....... :laugh:
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Got the used KindleDX, tried several times to install the hacks over the weekend, no luck so far but haven't given up. Jailbreak failed the first time due to wrong OS version, I think. Still apparently failed with the right version, though maybe it's the networking update that failed. Kindle still works fine, just seems to have rejected the "updates".

It looks great sitting next to the monitor, though - what a difference in relaxed readability!
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

So now you can <strike>admire the nude models</strike> read the interesting playboy articles on your kindleDX.... :)
How nice.

FYI: half (or more?) of the updates for any OS-handheld-electronic devices-whatever is meant as barrier to put a hold on piracy and so called 'jailbreaking'. And then you get updated jailbreak softs, and another official update, and so on...... a never ending story and annoying for the consumer.
jimmy325

Post by jimmy325 »

This dream could be a reality with a little cash on the barrel-head.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

What are you thinking? I'm intrigued. I never did get my kindle working - not sure if the jailbreak failed (probably) or the other software missed.