What hardware will work with latest Ubuntu?

Want to talk about your hardware setup? Brag about your super-machine's layout? Pretend you know a lot about computers? You can do all that and more in this forum.
benflintoff

What hardware will work with latest Ubuntu?

Post by benflintoff »

1. NVidia's been having some trouble lately, and AMD has been doing an amazing job with their Linux drivers. Even better, AMD's moving ATi to an open source model (they're just working out licensing) so I'd recommend an ATi video card. The latest drivers from AMD even support redirected rendering for 3D on a 3D surface (like the cube), and Ubuntu Lucid Lynx, due out in April of next year, will have DRI2 (again, redirected rendering) working on the open source Radeon driver.

2. Your biggest issue will be a printer. HP and Epson are both very well supported. For other brands, check before you buy. Personally, I love my Epson.
Last edited by benflintoff on Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

Isn't Epson the company who puts the chip in their ink cartridges that registers when they're empty?
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

wardrich wrote:I....puts the chip in their ink cartridges that registers when they're empty?
They all do that, I thought, and wants you to buy new ones even BEFORE they're empty .... :blah:
Some of them even go further, they will refuse to print once the crartidge is one year old, empty or not.

And install a complete useless 'printer software suite' which fills your register and harddrive with more useless crap.
And of course all those applics wants to load at sys startup .... :blah:
Me guess that HP is the champion of totally crap and needless printer software, but that's arguable.

Modern times ...... :(

I
JUST
WANNA
PRINT
DAMNED
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

It'd be totally cool, Dosraider, if ink wasn't so damned expensive. What's up with that? Gotta be one HELL of a mark-up on it.
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

Very very bent spam post :/
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Wally= spoilsport, as usual.
:(
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.