Toshiba T5100

Want to talk about your hardware setup? Brag about your super-machine's layout? Pretend you know a lot about computers? You can do all that and more in this forum.
carbontwelve

Toshiba T5100

Post by carbontwelve »

I found my old toshiba T5100! I thought this baby had been thrown out years ago, then my dad found it in a corner of the loft covered in twigs and dust. I am going to have to take it apart and blast it with some air, really dont want to turn the thing on just to start a fire ;) I am wondering however, it has a oily like substance leaking out the bottom in one corner, its source appears to be from the carry handle.

Does anyone know of why this might be happening? I haven't turned it on yet as I want to make sure it isn't a fire risk - the way these things where built however is going to make it difficult to take apart to clean as they are built like tanks! It doesn't have a color screen, instead using a orange plasma display - but it was my first computer and the reason why I found this website was to get games to play on it :) A nice bit of history dug up haha!
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Oily like substance? Not really an idea, nope. 'Oily' doesn't sound as a capacitor leakage.
Maybe there was oil leaked on it?

Screw the thing open, clean it up and fire it up. You'll soon know.

Expect a CMOS error due to a dead battery. But you should be able to set the stuff manually in the BIOS setup.

Maybe use a broomstick to power it up, keep some distance I would say .... :laugh:
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
carbontwelve

Post by carbontwelve »

I remembered this posting after searching for more info on this laptop and seeing this in the top 10 results haha. I have found a lot of documentation related to the laptop in question, not that it is really a laptop, rather a portable computer...
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

You got it running .....?
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
carbontwelve

Post by carbontwelve »

@dosraider not yet, its still sat in storage at my parents. I am planning on retrieving it soon and giving it a bit of maintenance before plugging it in.