oh boy! Oh Boy! OH BOY!!!

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

oh boy! Oh Boy! OH BOY!!!

Post by Larry Laffer »

STARCRAFT II... it's coming and it's for sure!

Today, at WWI(that's World Wide Invitational, ye noobs) in Korea, Blizzard announced the coming of the sequel, after almost a decade, we got ourselves a Starcraft Sequel!

And since I know I got your attention, haul your browser to Blizzard.com

*I might actually buy mehself a new computer for this baby!

[edit]: I'm so hyper I forgot to mention www.starcraft2.com
<center>
abyss wrote:I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

Congrats :bday: I was personally hoping for Diablo III (I never really play RTS games), but most people were 99% sure it was going to be SC2. (That's StarCraft, not Star Control :P) Hope it comes out sooner rather than later ...
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
abyss
Moloral Compass
Moloral Compass

Post by abyss »

I never seen pics or played starcraft 1 before. I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
<i>Formerly known as Hulk Hogan.</i>
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

abyss wrote:I never seen pics or played starcraft 1 before. I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
That's pretty hard to believe... I mean, I hate RTS games with a passion (for the most part) and even I know what Starcraft 1 was.

I'm really not excited about it at all, I saw some screenshots of it and it pretty much looks like the original one, but with slightly upped graphics. It looks like it would run fine on a P2. lol. They should have made one like C&C Renegades or w/e it was called.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Anyone want to claim this one for the quote? :laugh:

Anyway, Starcraft is the second best selling computer game of all time, next to the Sims. It's sold some 9.5 million copies, and has probably been pirated or borrowed by hundreds of millions of people.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

The Sims? I've never even heard of that. It must be one of those Mac games. :laugh:
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

Dogbreath wrote:
Anyone want to claim this one for the quote? :laugh:
MINE! :laugh:
<center>
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
Ro@m
<i>Hamachi Guardian</i>

Post by Ro@m »

Th esch shoots look nice,and especially the artwoek,though the red flying thing reminds me of a unit in Dark Colony.
Kazer0 wrote:WHO ARE ALL YOU PEOPLE?
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Unknown_K »

I have a legit copy of Starcraft and the add-ons, its a fun game. The best RTS game in my opinion is still Age of Empires 2.

While Starcraft II looks interesting, most of the RTS lately are all eye candy with small maps that don't have very many units on them. Look at how many 2D enemies were in a room in DOOM2 and compare that to DOOM3, less action but more eye candy (atleast untill we have 20Ghz CPUs and Video cards with 2' deep heatsinks).
Mr.Guimo
Expert
Expert

Post by Mr.Guimo »

HELO!!! I'v already got a threed for this topic :P, Not because it matter, but anyway.

So fu*king great!!. I'm exited. Starcraft is c'ming to town yeeehaaa ;) :devil:
dayaccus007
Expert
Expert

Post by dayaccus007 »

Unknown_k
You will probably change your opinion about the best RTS if you will play Campany of Heroes
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

Sorry played CoH, and I don't think it's better than Starcraft! Really!
<center>
</center>

Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

I'm not really a fan of the whole RTS genre, at least not the Starcraft -esque games where you start out on a (relatively) small map, and pretty much every mission consists of gathering resouces, building base, gathering resources, building an overwealming force, attack enemy, repeat. It's not bad if you're playing online against another person, but the missions from Starcraft got very repetative.

I prefer strategy games like Civilization or Masters of Orion or Alpha Centauri or Empire of the Fading Suns or even Alien Legacy... games where you do quite a bit of exploring along with building, where you can build a nation from scratch and control everything.

I will admit that Age of Empires 2 is my favorite RTS, though. IMO, they handled the "small map scenarios" very very well. You have to advance through 4 "ages", each of which contains different units and gameplay strategy. You can literally build your own city, complete with commons, marketplaces, walls, guard towers, castles, and churches. It had a fairly complex alliance structure, and trade is very well done. Definately a step beyond the whole "build a base as fast as you can" atmosphere of Starcraft.

It still has one thing that really bothers me, though. You can only ever win or lose missions. Your progress in the past mission has no influence on the next one, other than allowing you to access it. I never liked games like that, where you feel like you've being pulled along at the end of the line, and nothing you do can change anything significant.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

No RTS will ever beat Darwinia... except maybe if they make a Darwinia 2 :P
CPT Worm
<font color=gold>American Hero</font>
<font color=gold>American Hero</font>

Post by CPT Worm »

I'm psyched for this game. This is one of those games I can play with my buddies online due to my Macintosh handicap.

I'm stoked because there's no longer a stupid map supply limit. I can have literally hundreds of Goliaths and Siege Tanks. Hooah!
Sustinendum Victoriam!
dayaccus007
Expert
Expert

Post by dayaccus007 »

For me Company of heroes is the best RTS and on other forums where I post people seems to agree
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

Well nobody questions people's taste when it comes to gaming, you know, I mean I may like to play [insert name of game really crappy and really hated by the gaming communities world-wide] every now and then, but nobody forces, say, you! to also like it!
<center>
</center>

emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

Probably not a big surprise, but Starcraft II won't be coming out this year:

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/05/31/no-st ... this-year/

Judging by Blizzard's history, it'll probably be late 2008 at earliest ... :shifty:
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
Thunderdog
<b>Token Black Guy</b>
<b>Token Black Guy</b>

Post by Thunderdog »

Reminds me of Duke Nukem Forever. The release date has been 'When it's done' for ages.
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

lol yeah, but then again, Duke Nukem Forever has been announced ages ago! :P
<center>
</center>