A few DOS games that I wrote...

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
EliseAutoXr

A few DOS games that I wrote...

Post by EliseAutoXr »

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to DOSGAMES.COM and I have a couple of games that created back in early 90's that I would like to upload to the archive... but also happy to provide the source code and discuss game design in general. I look forward to bringing back some gaming memories via DOSBOX :).

Thanks,
Bradley
Chilly Willy
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Chilly Willy »

Welcome to the community! ;)

Any links to download your games?
Creativity is at its best when there's limitations.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Hello Bradley, and welcome to the forums!

The dosgames.com website hasn't been updated in a while, and it is my understanding that no substantial update is planned for the time being. I suggest that you contact Swizzle, the admin of DEMU.org. That website is frequently updated and is affiliated with the Internet Archive 9all files are stored at the Archive).
EliseAutoXr

Post by EliseAutoXr »

Hi and thanks for the welcomes! Sorry to here the site is a bit stale. My biggest selling games where BattleStar and BattleStar 2. I had 3 really cool games in the works when I got a job programming so the games took a back seat... then just ended. I will zip up a DOSBOX setup with the games and provide a link to try them.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

EliseAutoXr wrote:I will zip up a DOSBOX setup with the games and provide a link to try them.
Actually I think it would be better to distribute the games in their original form, without bundling them with DOSBox. Many people prefer to use DOSBox builds different from vanilla.

It is also probably worth noting that there's an idea of a special packaging format compatible with DOSBox that would facilitate easy use for those who aren't very familiar with DOSBox's workings.

After some Googling I found two BattleStar games by Vivvid Technologies: BATLSTAR.ZIP and BSTAR2.ZIP. Are those yours?
EliseAutoXr

Post by EliseAutoXr »

Ah, OK, yes those are mine. I had a lot of fun with the matrix math when making the first one, because it mostly vector graphics. The fun on BattleStar 2 was the height mapped "3D" terrain when you go down to the planet to get more weapons, energy, etc.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Hi, how exciting! I've had fun with Battlestar 1, and was very impressed by the vector gameplay, nicely done. I didn't run into them until "coming back"-ish to Dos gaming a few years ago and trying to take the hobby more seriously. I wish I had seen them back in the day, it's a game I would have loved and played the heck out of, like Sopwith.

I don't think I've ever seen Battlestar 2 before, I look forward to checking it out. And if you wanted to share "Dev Tales" of their creation, we'd love to hear those, too!

I like the idea of packaging it with DosBox, but it is nice also to have the plain version of just the game. Not just for picky people who want a special version of DosBox, but there are Mac and Linux gamers who can't run the Windows version.

Also, just a suggestion, some games I've seen packaged through all the DosBox + game files in the same directory, and that's often messy to separate. Others put the game in its own directory, and that is very clean - easy to get the game files out of a "vanilla" DosBox install that way. Up to you, of course!

I like the idea of a dosbox packaging format, I hope it finally comes to fruition. The idea has been around as long as DosBox has...
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

EliseAutoXr wrote:Ah, OK, yes those are mine.
Great! The licenses say those are shareware, do you intend to re-release them as freeware? If so, I suggest that you pick a suitable license and pack it with the registered versions' files. The admin of RGB Cassic Games will probably be happy to add your games to the site. You can check the licenses of former shareware games turned freeware to get the idea of appropriate licensing.
Quadko wrote:And if you wanted to share "Dev Tales" of their creation, we'd love to hear those, too!
Completely agree with that!
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Quadko, have you been able to run BattleStar 2 in DOSBox? Doesn't seem to work for me either in vanilla or in SVN Daum.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Haven't tried yet; I'll give it a go this weekend and report on results. :)