Guess The Game

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

Oh well, I'll try giving all a similar chance.

This game is/was playable on many platforms, provided they have a keyboard to type on.
You explore a castle, in search of an evil wizard, while the wizard comments on your poor progress.
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

No idea... :blah: I will wait for another clue.

And yes War I did notice a similarity and not just because it was 8-bit/midi (Or what ever it is called.) either. But then again I think I had heard other similar games with the same tunes as well. I checked to see the composer of the two games and they were not the same so I do not know.
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

The first version of the game was for the Mac in the -80:s, and it was ported to maybe half a dozen platforms soon after, including NES and DOS.
An updated remake was even released on Steam recently.

The game used graphics with text descriptions, with selected keywords clickable onscreen.
There is an unofficial pure-text version released for free as well.

Torches are vital to manage and limited in numbers in this game, but when they burn out, there are no Grues appearing.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

The only game that comes to my mind is Colossal Cave Adventure, however I can't find if it was first released on the Macintosh platform (MobyGames suggests that the earliest version was released for Apple II among some other platforms).
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

Close, but no cigar, MrFlibble; you are in the right region.

<Colossal Cave had some versions with graphics, e.g. Level9:s (I have the Atari version), though it did not take place in a castle, as my first hint stated. Also I haven't seen 'my' game on a mainframe, but who knows what is out there in the wild.>

Fresh hints:
The living castle in this game also gives the game it's name.

Several followups have appeared during the years, including a 3D version.
The graphics (when present) were drawn from a 1st person perspective in all versions I've seen.
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

Shadowgate? But I do not remember you ever being taunted (Of course I never really got that far...) Although I do know torches are very important in Shadowgate.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

It's definitely Shadowgate. He taunts you a few times. The first time is in the 2nd room you enter. I would have had it guessed by the first clue haha.
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

Bingo!

This was a game I hadn't played myself before looking for something that was available on many platforms, so everyone might have a chance at guessing.

I found a link to a free text version through mobygames, so I could try it out a bit.
It has a nice Wikia and also Wikipedia is full of information about it.

A retro version was released in January this year, and an enhanced version is on Steam since August last year, so you can play it as a modern 1st person adventure game too now. I even found a flash-version online, with music & graphics. :-)

Over to DOS Wolf.
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

Ehhh... my brain is a bit fried right now... still trying to reply to the religion thread from a month or so... :upset:

Let either someone else who speaks up first get it or maybe a new person. There was one trying to post a pic, but I do not know. :blah:
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

Rwolf wrote:Bingo!

This was a game I hadn't played myself before looking for something that was available on many platforms, so everyone might have a chance at guessing.

I found a link to a free text version through mobygames, so I could try it out a bit.
It has a nice Wikia and also Wikipedia is full of information about it.

A retro version was released in January this year, and an enhanced version is on Steam since August last year, so you can play it as a modern 1st person adventure game too now. I even found a flash-version online, with music & graphics. :-)

Over to DOS Wolf.
I bought the remake. It's really awesome. It's essentially a whole new game with homages to the original.
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

I know I had said this some where else as well, but the N64 game (A completely different game by the way.) was alright. It was a little slow at the start and the graphics were a bit dark and muddy/grainy, although much improved over the original and was 3D roaming. It was called Shadowgate 64: Trials of the Four Towers. (The name just sounds cool. :D ) If you can find it for $5 or so and you enjoyed the original SG you will most probably enjoy this.

I just read that apparently there was to be a sequel on the N64 called Shadowgate Rising, but apparently due to the Gamecube coming out the project was scrapped. Although why it was not put forth to GC I am not sure. :huh:
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

Alrighty... Moving on... ^_^

Clue: PlayStation 1 fighting game very original for it's time at least on that console.
dr_st
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by dr_st »

Is it Tekken?
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

My guess would be 'Twin Godesses' - a mix of animated (opponent) and digitized (protagonist) characters, also the protagonists were female, which could have been unusual; not that I've played that many fighting games.
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

I swear I guessed Tekken soon after you posted.. Oh well. I'll guess Fighting Force.
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

Clue 2: A traditional themed game, although set in the modern world... Used weapons...

No, but the Tekken was a good guess and still a beautiful game, well two and three are anyway... The first was a little stiff and two was a bit as well, but it had twice as many hidden characters so ehhh... I loved the demo disk for it when I had first bought a PS1. Only two characters on it, but being able to use two or more types of throws, many different combos, plus the intro movie was just plain awesome! I will have to look up Twin Goddesses... I have never heard of that game before...

And Fighting Force was more of a beat-em up, although I did say fighting so I can understand. I loved the demo back in the day for it. Being the big guy and throwing car parts (And possible cars I forget...) was fun, but then trying the full game... I can see why the demo choose the stage it had... :suspicious:

----------------------------------------------------------------

Twin Goddesses...
This is very boring just jump to the last minute or so... The one in the green is hot!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXEuTEuJlv0
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

Not sure what to guess..."Makeruna! Makend&#333; 2" perhaps?
Comedy style, backgrounds look modern.
Not sure about weapons, but I see a tennis racquet in one screenshot...
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

Clue 3: You could choose any character that had their own attributes and also any weapon for that character which had it's own weight. Although you could choose a girl with a sledge hammer, she would be awfully hindered by the weight and choosing a big burley guy with a rapier would not allow him to use it with finesse. Each character also had a unique sub weapon.
pseudocoder
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by pseudocoder »

Is it Bushido Blade?
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

It is. I thought that may of been too easy a clue. I was also thinking of using realistic damage makes the performance of the characters even worse. Get a heavy blow to your arm and you can no longer use it, get's your legs or ankles cut and you can no longer stand, etc. A beautiful game though. Even today, although the graphics may not be as good, the fighting system itself is still fun to play. The environments are decently sized, with some bigger than others. The bamboo tress can be cut. Cherry blossoms fall to the ground. The waves crash upon the shore as I recall. (There is a beach there regardless.) :D And it is set in the modern times, even though you are using ancient weapons. Three different stances to choose from and again anyone can use any weapon, just not everyone can use them well. And a fight can last as long as an hour or a second depending on who can get in a good swing of the sword or mallet. I believe the original even had a ninja gauntlet when you had to fight your way through waves of ever harder enemies. It has a story mode where each character I believe has it's own goals and ambitions, but it is better played for the two player death matches.

I was curious if anyone was going to name any of the other more well known weapon fighting games out there, although none were as realistic as this to my knowledge, certainly not the ones I am thinking of anyway.

Your turn pseudocoder. :)