Guess The Game

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

Nope. Not Minesweeper.

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assembly_l ... ">Assembly language</a> is a low-level coding language that's pretty much one step above just coding everything out in binary. It's very labour intensive, but has a lot of benefits if you have the time, knowledge, and budget to pull it off.
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

Hmmm... no more clues or no more players...
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

<b>Clue 2: The game is a simulation of sorts, and was developed by Chris Sawyer & Microprose</b>
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

Transport Tycoon?
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

Very close, Rwolf.
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

Railroad Tycoon?
dr_st
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by dr_st »

Railroad Tycoon is Sid Meier's.

The answer is Rollercoaster Tycoon, which apparently was indeed originally planned as a sequel to Transport Tycoon.

In case my answer is accepted, I pass my turn to Rwolf, since his guess pointed me in the right direction. :)
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

dr_st wrote:Railroad Tycoon is Sid Meier's.

The answer is Rollercoaster Tycoon, which apparently was indeed originally planned as a sequel to Transport Tycoon.

In case my answer is accepted, I pass my turn to Rwolf, since his guess pointed me in the right direction. :)
Bingo! As per, <b>dr_st</b>, it's over to you <b>Rwolf</b>!
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

Ok, thank you dr_st, you nailed it.

---

I'm looking for a game within a game, seemingly played in an arcade cabinet, though really
only released on DOS.

The standalone version was a demo for the main game, though it had little to do with the main title, apart from the setting, parodies in space.
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

I was going to saying something about the GameBoy Player, I think they made the wrapping of the screen look arcade like if I am not mistaken, but obviously that is not DOS, so I have no idea.
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

I'll add some clues then, since noone dared a guess.

The main game was the third in a series, supposedly developed by some aliens from another galaxy. The minigame took place on the moon.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Because you said "parodies in space" I would suggest Sierra's Space Quest, but as I'm not very familiar with the series I didn't post a reply at first.
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

Bingo! (or close enough)

I'll count the right game series as a correct guess, I can't expect anyone to know the mini-games within, if you never played it.

I was aiming for 'Astro Chicken', a game played at an arcade cabinet in a bar within the main game. It is itself a parody of 'lunar lander', only with a rooster as the astronaut/moon lander.

The second mini-game was 'Ms. Astro Chicken', and the developers starred as the 'two guys from Andromeda'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rNrFpRW9xc

Over to you, Mr. Flibble!
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Guys, sorry for the delay, let's try this:

Clue 1: In one of the scenarios in this game, a small army led by a mythological hero infiltrates an enemy stronghold to face a king who is real historical person. What's unusual about this is that the scenario takes place in a land which, albeit a real place, is completely unrelated to either the king or the hero and their respective nations.

The game however, expects the player to pretend that both characters are actually leaders of the peoples inhabiting the land where the story takes place.

Hint: said scenario takes place at the beginning of the game.

I hope this is not worded in some overly complicated manner!
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

Something in your description leads me to think in the areas of Robin Hood or King Arthur legends. I looked through some of those titles at Mobygames, and though I cannot say if your game is a strategy game or not, I'll make a guess at 'Stronghold Legends', a fantasy mix with King Arthur and Dracula in one scenario.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Rwolf wrote:Something in your description leads me to think in the areas of Robin Hood or King Arthur legends.<...> I'll make a guess at 'Stronghold Legends', a fantasy mix with King Arthur and Dracula in one scenario.
Nope, that's not it. The game is not fantasy, it actually is supposed to be (more or less) realistic. Both characters are put out of their historical context because of some internal limitations of the game (probably).
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

Hmm...don't know what to guess; strategy game or not?
Riverworld? Mix of historical characters, but probably not what you intend.
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

Lets keep it rolling... B)
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Sorry for a much belated reply.
Rwolf wrote:Riverworld? Mix of historical characters, but probably not what you intend.
Nope, not Riverworld.

Clue 2: This game more or less depicts historical events, but the developers took quite a few liberties with the details. In this, the game follows one of its direct inspirations - a very popular game which belongs to a different sub-genre. The other inspiration is purely fantasy, but it contributed most of the gameplay mechanics for the game in question.
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

Either people are no longer playing or they simply do not have a guess for your game. I for one am completely lost, but then again I suck at DOS. Any more clues?