Good night, Sweet Prince (1982 - 2013)

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
CPT Worm
<font color=gold>American Hero</font>

Good night, Sweet Prince (1982 - 2013)

Post by CPT Worm »

Thanks for the memories, you guys.
http://money.cnn.com/2013/04/03/technol ... lucasarts/

tl;dr: Disney canned LucasArts. They are no more.
While today they are mainly known for their Star Wars games, I know I will be saddened for the loss of the company that brought us games like this*.

*They did not bring us Weird Al.
Sustinendum Victoriam!
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Was to be expected, you buy the cie, can it and keep the knowledge.
Ah well , all for the better .... or not.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Cmaza
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Cmaza »

Perhaps not strictly game related, but.....

Hearing about how Shatner has been given a role in a new proposed Star Wars movie (allegedly), I've got a few friends betting that at least a few guys down at Disney are thinking "Star Trek, Star Wars, what's the difference? If it'll sell, it'll sell!"

Nothing against the choice of actor, of course - He's a great actor. Just.. Changing to an equally sized franchise when he's so well associated with the former, strikes me as odd, and I think, him too, given what he's written about it on his blog.

Star Wars isn't alone in this, however. The new Star Trek "Into Darkness" movie, while I'm sure they'll make plenty of money from it, as someone that prefers the more old school way of doing things.. I'm really not feeling all that good about it. :-/

Anyhow.. Farewell, LucasArts: You'll be missed.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

All I can say: in that case, either Harrison Ford or a James Earl Jones-voiced robot should be in the next Star Trek movie.

RIP LucasArts, but they had some real dogs of games along the way to go with the golden memories of yore. But it was worth the bad to have the good!
CPT Worm

Post by CPT Worm »

Cmaza wrote:Perhaps not strictly game related, but.....

Hearing about how Shatner has been given a role in a new proposed Star Wars movie (allegedly), I've got a few friends betting that at least a few guys down at Disney are thinking "Star Trek, Star Wars, what's the difference? If it'll sell, it'll sell!"

Nothing against the choice of actor, of course - He's a great actor. Just.. Changing to an equally sized franchise when he's so well associated with the former, strikes me as odd, and I think, him too, given what he's written about it on his blog.
I think Shatner is a bit of an egoist...he really just likes the limelight. Since he didn't make it in the reboot, switching sides makes sense and will obviously generate a lot of buzz. If it's true.

I agree about Disney. They are a company, and they want to make money. However, I personally like Disney movies. They've had their weak moments, but I think they will be able to do Star Wars justice.
Cmaza wrote:Star Wars isn't alone in this, however. The new Star Trek "Into Darkness" movie, while I'm sure they'll make plenty of money from it, as someone that prefers the more old school way of doing things.. I'm really not feeling all that good about it. :-/
I'm not sure. I think our generation grew up with the TNG, DS9, and Voyager...which was really about exploration. (Although, DS9 and Voyager did start getting more violent) The original show (and its cast) probably would have opted more toward the action-y Trek that the upcoming movie will be. Will it just be a hi-tech action film in space? Probably. Will it still be enjoyable? I think so. They tried to turn TNG into this, and it didn't work because TNG wasn't an action show. But the original series had plenty of iconic action scenes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SK0cUNMnMM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0bClUp9I6w

(Were they good? Meh...but they wanted them to be!)
Sustinendum Victoriam!