The Next Kickst... er... Indiegogo, ADOM 1.2.0

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

The Next Kickst... er... Indiegogo, ADOM 1.2.0

Post by Dogbreath »

After a 10 year Hiatus Thomas Biskup (the creator of ADOM) is resurrecting ADOM development - specifically, he's put together a team of 4 developers and is asking for $48,000 to "finish" ADOM and modernize it. (i.e, get rid of all the bugs, balance the game and flesh out all the game mechanics, as well as porting it to modern OSes and updating the UI and adding graphics and music) It seems like a lot, unless you've actually played ADOM and realize what a huge, complex game it is and think of the amount of work it'll take to finish it. it's a Fixed Funding Campaign - which means if it doesn't raise the whole $48,000 at the end of 60 days you'll get your money back - so you don't have to worry about throwing your money into something that sputters out and dies half way through. (God forbid)

You can read about it here. It's a pretty interesting read and has a fun video - it's only 12 days in and has nearly $22,000 donated, which is encouraging. I'm pretty excited about it.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Now, that's interesting.
Wonder what they can achieve with the powerful computers we have now.

But I fear that it won't appeal the younger (what's younger...?) gen of gamers, it's all about graphics nowadays, whilst a game as ADOM needs an active imagination ....

Ah well, there will be a lot of older gamers who gonna buy it, and have a lot of good playtime .... screw modern gaming with all their fancy graphics and mindless gameplay.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Actually, there are a lot of roguelike gamers/developers in their early 20s (I'm only 23 myself...), and it's a growing genre - there have been a lot of very successful roguelikes in the past few years. (Tome4, DCSS, The Binding of Isaac, Dungeons of Dredmor, Torchlight I and II, Diablo III, etc.) A lot of these are at least somewhat graphical (or in the case of Diablo, got rid of most of the fun elements for the sake of graphics...) but Tome4, for example, still has an ASCII mode.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Sure there are still a lot of Roguelike adepts-fans, but if you compare the numbers ..... it's becoming a rather small niche group.
Sadly enough.

Don't misunderstand me, a game can have rather nice graphics and still be fun to play, moi had a lot of fun playing through Fallout3 and certainly even more F3 New Vegas, trying every possible outcome of choices you can make in those games.

But alas, most recent games are simply completely brainless games,scripted events, A to D going by B and C, no choices, no scenario changes, no nothing ..... etcetera, think you get what I mean, it's all been said before.
:(
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Sweet, thanks for the links. ADOM is one of those games I love but never get very far into, even cheating just to explore it. But I've played Rogue since my formative years on my super powerful new XT, and ADOM has been my go-to game to scratch that itch. Somehow I've never gotten into Nethack; maybe once I finally beat ADOM... :P

It'd be nice to have a fresh version and some fun features like those mentioned!
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Well, the campaign has 3 weeks left to go, and is sitting right at $32,000. In the past few weeks Thomas Biskup released ADOM 1.2.0 per-release 1 and 2 and has also put up a sample of the tileset they're working on:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-aVSg9DEbDRk/U ... Sample.png

If you want to see one of the best RPGs ever made resurrected for a new generation, I highly recommend donating!
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

10 days left, $42,357 raised. If you've been waiting to donate, now is probably your best bet.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

It's succeeded! Expect to see the new ADOM in the next 6 months or so. :bday: :bday: :bday:
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

:jester: :bday: :D

I'm so glad it made it, and that I was able to contribute! Thanks for posting the links, Dogbreath, I wouldn't have known about it otherwise.

They've got a little less than a week to reach stretch funding goals - official tile set (i.e. a Non-ASCII mode with professional tiles, not just fan tiles), a release onto Steam with a more "casual" Deluxe version (with nonRL things like save & load) to attract RPG but non-RL audiences, more large quest stories, and more. The hope is that reaching and building larger fan-base through Steam they could create a self-supporting sustained development team for ongoing releases after the Indiegogo project is complete. This crowdfunding would then have enabled not just a single desirable new version but kicked off a whole game series.

If you have the inclination, please consider contributing this week! Again, the new base version is already funded, and they are now trying to reach some cool stretch goals:

http://www.indiegogo.com/resurrect-adom-development

(and for all I played ADOM, I never did send the author a postcard! Happily I now had the chance to send him some cash instead, and get some cool new releases in return. ;))
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Quadko wrote::jester: :bday: :D

I'm so glad it made it, and that I was able to contribute! Thanks for posting the links, Dogbreath, I wouldn't have known about it otherwise.
Thomas did a pretty poor job of advertising and building up to the campaign, IMO. I only found out about it talking to him on FB chat a few days before it started, and I've known the man for 10 years. I've done my best to help him advertise it, as have a couple dozen other people, but it's still not really well known.

If any of you reading this don't have any money to give, but still want to help develop one of the greatest RPGs of all time, please post about it in any forums where you're a respected member (and therefore not likely to get dismissed/deleted as a spammer) and share it with all your friends. I know, for example, one of the members of rgra (the old ADOM newsgroup) won the European version of Who Wants To Be a Millionaire back in 2003... if we could get ahold of him (or other wealthy/generous ADOM players) it could help a lot.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Fantastic, ADOM reached the "ADOM Deluxe on Steam (and maybe other platforms)" level of support. That'll be something to look forward to!

Last chance to contribute is today (2012-08-30 11:59 PT) :)
http://www.indiegogo.com/resurrect-adom-development
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Just shy of $86,000. :) (and 4 hours left!)
niobehorton

Post by niobehorton »

did it reached $86,000?

Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

QuadKo: Dunno if you've been keeping up, but ADOM was recently just greenlit on Steam. :) I've been playing all the pre-releases, it's come a long way. Especially in the latest ones. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzLnW5gTyRY is the latest video I know of, but it's progressed quite a bit since then. Full spell animations, fluid movement, graphical representation of damage, poison, crit hits, etc. Plus an absolute shitton of new areas, quests, items, races, classes, etc. It's definitely been worth the wait. :)
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Sweet! I'm a bit behind on details and haven't been playing, but I see the announcements fly by. Very exciting. And great to hear the playthroughs are going well, it will all hinge on that, ultimately! :)