New Space Quest game kickstarter

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Space Quest game kickstarter

Post by emmzee »

Only a few hours left in the "new Space Quest game" kickstarter. The original authors (Two Guys from Andromeda) are on board plus a bunch of others.

They've nearly hit their $500,000 goal with approx 21 hours to go:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spa ... -space-que

I went back and tried to play the original SQ games recently ... I played some of SQ1 and SQ3. I think they're better in my memory than they are in actuality, some parts are actually pretty poorly conceived! But I've thrown my support into this project (at the $15 level) ... I'm interested to see how this turns out.
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

....... :suspicious:

I can't say I'm a big fan of the kickstarter money raising system.
I believe that if a game is good enough the funds to develop it will be found, and not by asking it from fans, but by the usual investors.

The law of Capitalism, ya know ..... :laugh:
There are enough indie game dev cies to prove my point, and those indie games are sometimes damn good, and they survive by the simple fact they're good.

etcetera etcetera blah blah...... :sleep:
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

Why couldn't fans become "usual" investors?

Besides, sure, you could make an indie game in your spare time after coming back from your fulltime job and, if it's popular enough, have some of that investment pay off after launch but it's far better to already have the funding for it, don't you think? :rolleyes:
<center>
abyss wrote:I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Sure, you're right.

However, one word: Angry Birds.
Hmmm, two words I meant.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

dosraider wrote:I can't say I'm a big fan of the kickstarter money raising system.
I believe that if a game is good enough the funds to develop it will be found, and not by asking it from fans, but by the usual investors.
Seconded. Those kickstarters for this and that have become pretty popular lately, yet I have no idea if this is actually a feasible model of development economic-wise.

I suspect that either this is trend some people (developers) just couldn't resist to follow, or a not-so-subtle way to hype an upcoming product by making the fans feel they've been involved in the project at least by contributing money to it.
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

Eh, I chipped in $15, which probably is around how much it'll cost when it's released anyways, and for that price I get the game and some bonuses. Not such a bad deal.

I do agree about the kickstarter phenomenon tho, it's become a little too popular.
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

emmzee wrote:Eh, I chipped in $15, which probably is around how much it'll cost when it's released anyways, and for that price I get the game and some bonuses. Not such a bad deal.
Certainly not a bad deal, if you ever get it ............ :laugh:

There is one thing that bothers me with this whole 'kickstarter' stuff, there are a lot of kickstarter'd games and other things listed, but they don't have an easy to find (*if* exist?) listing of games/stuffs that have been funded and are now finished/released.
Updates enough, demos, tryout partial releases, whatever whatnots, but I don't see a 'finalized'/'released' listing ......

A big fat air bubble??????????? I wonder, just wondering.

Of course there will be a lot of serious devs amongst them, most certainly, and also alas a lot of 'go for the easy bucks' scam projects that will never get finalized.

.......Just some personal thoughts.
Ah well, I'm just old and cynical. :laugh: