What would you compare the DOSBOX with?

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
Super Smash Bros. Fan

What would you compare the DOSBOX with?

Post by Super Smash Bros. Fan »

This is where you give your opinion on how you consider DOSBOX to be to you.

In my opinion, I consider DOSBOX an Virtual Console with MS-DOS games, except that some games are free.

[Edit](At the request of dosraider)Now why would I explain how I compare the DOSBOX to the Virtual Console? Well first off, you can play classic game from the past. Secondly, DOSBOX is very popular and gets updated frequently. And last but no least, many people love it.[/Edit]

What about you? BTW, this is my first thread here.
Last edited by Super Smash Bros. Fan on Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
An Nintendo gamer that just is getting into DOS games. Nice to see you guys!

Currently playing: Prince of Persia [MS-DOS] and Jetpack [MS-DOS]
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Re: How do you consider DOSBOX like?

Post by dosraider »

Super Smash Bros. Fan wrote:.... I consider DOSBOX an Virtual Console ....
:huh:
Explain please, SSB.Fan ......
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Super Smash Bros. Fan

@dosraider: I already did. I edited the message.

dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

No no, I asked to explain that 'virtual console' statement of yours.
In what way you consider dosbox being a 'virtual console'?

And please, when editing a post use [Edit] ....[/Edit] tags, so at least we know what you edited .....
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Super Smash Bros. Fan

dosraider wrote:No no, I asked to explain that 'virtual console' statement of yours.
In what way you consider dosbox being a 'virtual console'?

And please, when editing a post use [Edit] ....[/Edit] tags, so at least we know what you edited .....
I'm actually really surprise you don't know what a Virtual Console is. Well, the Virtual Console is an classic video game service provided by Nintendo with games for the Nintendo Entertainment System, Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo 64, Sega Genesis, Sega Master System, TurboGrafx 16, Commodore 64, Neo Geo, and some Arcade games. They update weekly with at least one game. Games cost from 500 to 1,200 Wii Points, depending on systems, imports, and licensing issues. This is an cheap and safe way to retro game from those old systems.

I would consider a DOSBOX similar to the Virtual Console because you can get access to classic games from the past, only that you can get the games for free in some cases. Also an cheap and safe way to get retro games.

And fine, I'll do what you say and put in those edit tags every time I edit my posts.

486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by 486 player »

DB's an emulator, but is VC?
NO Windows, NO DOSBox, DOS!
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Indeed 486 player, dosbox is a multi platform (Windows-Mac-Linux)- OS emulator, more specific the base of dosbox is emulating an Intel x86 PC running MsDos5.

Whilst if I understand SSB.Fan correctly virtual console is a console system emulator.

Nothing to compare here.
Super Smash Bros. Fan

486 player wrote:DB's an emulator, but is VC?
You just pratically mentioned at least one similarity. DOSBOX is an emulator, but so is the Virtual Console. Except that with the Virtual Console, you actually have to pay for them.

Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

Isn't Virtual Console an interpreter?

Nobody exactly knows
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

Didn't they actually go through the process of porting [some of] the games on VC?
Super Smash Bros. Fan wrote:I would consider a DOSBOX similar to the Virtual Console because you can get access to classic games from the past, only that you can get the games for free in some cases. Also an cheap and safe way to get retro games.
That's pretty much the case of every single emulator/interpreter out there, really.
<center>
abyss wrote:I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)