Weekly Doom dosgames event [SERVER DOWN]

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Weekly Doom dosgames event [SERVER DOWN]

Post by wardrich »

Anybody down? I work an erratic schedule, so I can't really say what day is good for me... but I'm thinking once a week we should hold down a Skulltag game or two. lol. Max players allowed is 32. If anybody wants, I'm hosting a game right now... If anybody's interested:

[Gathering Resources]
1. Download and install <a href="http://www.skulltag.com">Skulltag</a>

[Adding a Server]
2. Open idese
3. Hit INSERT
4. Add this IP:
5. Give it a comment, not sure what it does.

[Joining the fun]
6. Scroll down the list of servers in idese until you find the one you just added. (Server Name's gonna be something like RAAAAAAAAAGE)
7. Double-click said entry. If all is well, it should load up Skulltag and throw you in the game.
8. It *should* grab the necessary wads automatically, but if it doesn't:
8.5 hit up http://thepit.no-ip.org/wads and download needed wads (see below) and save them to the Skulltag directory

<b>Current Game</b>
<b>Current wads being used: <a href="http://supergod.servegame.com/dt_inv_v2.pk3">dt_inv_v2.pk3</b></a>
<b>Max Clients: 10</b> (I can change this as needed)
<b>Game Style: Invasion</b>

Note that this is being hosted off my computer, if it doesn't work when you try... it's probably because I have either changed my IP since, or I just don't have a server up...

If somebody else wants to start up a server, just throw the info up in a reply to this thread.

Not sure if you need it or not, but you *may* need the doom2.wad file, which is the full version of doom2.
Last edited by wardrich on Fri May 02, 2008 11:31 pm, edited 15 times in total.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Maybe ... but it seems to be a lot of DM and 'clan' stuff again.
I'm a COOP player.

*Goes back to good ol'Unreal COOP*
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

dosraider wrote:Maybe ... but it seems to be a lot of DM and 'clan' stuff again.
I'm a COOP player.

Me too. I love the dib co-op map. But it's brutal without the eweps.wad weapon set. lol.

dib20b = RUUUUUSSHHHH
eweps = every gun shoots into lightspeed and has unlimited ammo.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

So, I join, busy setting up stuffies and you shut down the server.
Bàààààààààd Wardrich .
:angry:

[Edit]
OK, could join finally, had a fun time.
What a slaughterhouse.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

RAAAAAAGE
Gamer_V
Gaming God
Gaming God

Post by Gamer_V »

Why skulltag and not doomsday?

just asking, though I could probably just compare the feature lists
<TABLE width="100%" cellpadding="1" border="0"><TR><TD width="50%">
robhofen wrote:no warcraft is a rip off of age of empires and so are a lot of other games
</TD><TD width="50%">
Larry Laffer wrote:Your people are n00bs :laugh:
</TD></TABLE><CENTER>Image</CENTER> .
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

They are kinda equal, maybe that skulltag is easier to set up, and easier to create an own server.

And a lot of active servers on skultag's list ...... a lot with crappy wads also.
Skultlag also seems to be less troublesome regarding the original wad version. Tried some COOP servers, never had a version mismatch t'll now.

...... Not much COOP servers :(

But honnestly,-(IMHO)-, regarding those wads ..... it's a bit crazy, you run-jump-crowl around, shooting the whole time, sometimes facing +100 enemies, fun for a short while, but those slaughterhouse wads don't match up with the original ones.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

dosraider wrote: ...... Not much COOP servers :(
Yeah, I've noticed that... it's a shame, too... I wouldn't really consider Doom to be a good game for DM or CTF... it just doesn't have the right feel to it.
dosraider wrote: But honnestly,-(IMHO)-, regarding those wads ..... it's a bit crazy, you run-jump-crowl around, shooting the whole time, sometimes facing +100 enemies, fun for a short while, but those slaughterhouse wads don't match up with the original ones.
Yeah, I like them because they're crazy. You're not actually supposed to play them with the super-fast weapons with unlimited ammo... so they're meant to be even harder. lol. But I do have lots of other wads, so we can always play thru the original doom games.
Gamer_V wrote: Why skulltag and not doomsday?
Never actually used (or heard of) Doomsday... Is it compatible with Linux? That was part of the reason why I used Skulltag... the other reason was because it was the first one I'd ever used and it's really simple to set up. What are the main differences?
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

.... And the COOP servers suffer from the same problem as the Unreal COOP servers, many DM n00bs jump in and screw up the gameplay for the others, so at the end the private COOP servers are growing in numbers.
They even don't list on the master server list anymore, and you can't blame them.

Of course you can disable friendly fire, but let's face it, one of the charmes of COOP, -(certainly on the original wads)-, is that you must watch out where you put your bullets.
Shooting around as an idiot in the original wads degrade the COOP gameplay to level zero.

But yeah, it will be me again, an ol'school COOP player.
Nevermind.

Me -> disgusted.
wardrich wrote: Never actually used (or heard of) Doomsday... Is it compatible with Linux?
n00b. :P
Yes it's compatible with Linux.
http://www.doomsdayhq.com/
(server can be slow sometimes)

Plenty addons/mods in doomsdayhq.
One of my favorite doom-heretic-hexen ports.

[Edit]
That's how doomsday looks:
(Default - no addons).