Anyone got any Free online multiplayer games they recomend??

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
User avatar
coldie
Expert
Expert
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:42 am
Location: None of your bussiness

Anyone got any Free online multiplayer games they recomend??

Post by coldie » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:27 pm

:spam:
Image

User avatar
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 2424
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2002 2:25 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Post by emmzee » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:11 pm

What kind of online games are you looking for? RPGs? Casual games?

I played "Goonzu" for awhile, it's kinda fun, and free:
http://global.goonzu.com/center/default.asp
You have to pay $$$ for some things tho, like if you want to buy a horse it'll cost you a few bucks, but to play is free.

You could look for a free/private Ragnarok Online server, but those are technically not legal so ... :shifty: :blah:

Let us know more about the kind of game you're lookin for and ppl might have better suggestions. :)
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament

User avatar
The_Sinister_Mastermind
<font color=red><b>Overlord</b></font>
Posts: 2744
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:20 am
Location: NSW, Australia, Down Under Verse

Post by The_Sinister_Mastermind » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:32 pm

I've been playing Kings Of Chaos recently. One of those online army games, except that there's some 30,000 players so it's of a decent size and it's been designed a lot better then most others I've played. Though if you do plan to play I suggest waiting like 2 days, the current age is about to end* and a new one start.


*As of this post the current age will end in 1 day, 13 hours, 57 minutes and 55 seconds.
<center>I am the master, fear none but me. I am the master of all that will be... Image

Are you looking for Z? - DOSBox & D-Fend Guide! - I’m looking for 4 games!
Best Of Windows Entertainment Package

DOSgames IRC is back! now with DOS Trivia!
Server: irc.p2p-network.net
Channel: #DOSgames
For mIRC users: irc://irc.p2p-network.net/DOSgames

Please don’t PM me every time you can’t find a game, I really don’t have time to logon to the site that often let alone be your personal assistant.
Just use the “Finding Old Games” subforum like everyone else.</center>

User avatar
dosraider
Admin
Admin
Posts: 9243
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:06 pm
Location: ROTFLMAO in Belgium.

Post by dosraider » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:58 am

Unreal, the game isn't free but the servers are free of charge.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.

User avatar
MiniMax
Expert
Expert
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:03 am
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Kingdom of Loathing

Post by MiniMax » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:53 am

Here is one. Probably not what you are looking for, but still...

http://www.kingdomofloathing.com/
DOSBox ReadMe | DOSBox Wiki | DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions
_________________
Shuttle SN41G2 | Athlon XP 2600+ | IGP@128 MB | NEC 3520A DVD | Win XP Home/SP2

User avatar
coldie
Expert
Expert
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:42 am
Location: None of your bussiness

Post by coldie » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:52 pm

im looking for a grapical game, something either with ships, or something with ppl, no matter to me, id like to stay away from sorcery, or magic.. but all the same.. i like interaction, but doesent HAVE to be.. and Dos, does that mean the game aint free after all?
Image

User avatar
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin
Posts: 4143
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:06 am
Location: Romania

Post by Larry Laffer » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:08 pm

you could play Ultima Online! :P
<center>
abyss wrote:I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)

User avatar
coldie
Expert
Expert
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:42 am
Location: None of your bussiness

Post by coldie » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:31 am

never heard of it...
Image

User avatar
dosraider
Admin
Admin
Posts: 9243
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:06 pm
Location: ROTFLMAO in Belgium.

Post by dosraider » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:54 am

wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.

User avatar
Guated
Member
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:22 pm

Post by Guated » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:22 am

Define free. You mean don't need to pay monthly? or don't need to pay for the game at all?

User avatar
dosraider
Admin
Admin
Posts: 9243
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:06 pm
Location: ROTFLMAO in Belgium.

Post by dosraider » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:11 am

As Coldie is a young mother with several children I would say free as in euuuuu .... 'Free'.

Take a look on this one Coldie:
http://www.falcom.co.jp/vantage/index_e.html
Looks pretty good.

System Requirement
OS : Windows95/98/Me/XP
CPU : Pentium,486DX2/66MHz or more (Recommended Pentium/100MHz and more)
RAM : 16MB or more
HD : 27MB and more
Display : 640*480 256color
CD-ROM : Double speed drive or more
Sound : MIDI

You're still on that heating_up burn_smellin'PC with WinME I guess?
Should run on your PC.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.

User avatar
greencosmos
Expert
Expert
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:21 am
Location: Finland

Post by greencosmos » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:00 pm

Larry Laffer wrote:you could play Ultima Online! :P
But that isn't free.

NightC
Member
Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:31 pm

Post by NightC » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:49 pm

Infantry is a very very good and free online game. The player population has dwindled these last few years due to them adding pay to play (Now totally FREE again!) and hackers constantly attacking. However the hacking seems to be over and solved and it is free again. Most of the activity now centers around the tournement leagues, in which orginzied squads compete in orginized set matches and at the end of the season the two best play for the Championship.

It is a top down shooter which is somewhat unique since most games like this are first person. The bullets move at a speed you can see and dodge them with strafing etc. however it isn't as easy as it sounds or seems at first. There are vehicles in some "zones" (zones are different versions of the game you can enter each with unique maps, physics, weapons, etc.) and the public zones still get pumping pretty good for select zones. At its prime 1000s played and all the zones had activity, including the novelty zones like soccor and "gravball" which is a mix between soccor, shooting, and racing basicly. There was also a RTS zone called fleet in which you used space ships to collect resources and build a base, while the other team did the same. You would then build larger warships that you and other players could man and thus create a fleet to attack the enemy base. Sadly fleet, along with most of the novelty zones, fell into disuse due mostly to the low player numbers the game now has. However fleet and the other non-populated zones still work if you can orginize enough people to get a decent game going.


The game is not very noob friendly, in this I mean the default controls and resolution basicly make it impossible for you to keep up since you cannot see as far or "circle strafe" (strafe while turning and firing, thus making it possible to dodge bullets and effectivly aim at once.) But once you set your own controls and learn to circle strafe as well as increase the resolution to see farther, you can get the hang of it pretty quick. I would recommend Mechinized Skirmish zone for begginers since it is the basic infantry set up and has an active league / public zone.

There are other zones called CTF capture the flag, in which the physics and weapons are different, and you also have to gain money from victory and kills to buy better equipment, again this is a little more advanced. There is also what they call an RPG zone in which you can purchase more weapons and stats like strength, inteligence, etc. The stats allow you actually move faster and have more hitpoints, as well as being requirments for better weapons. This zone is very hard to start out in but fun once you get rolling.

Here is the wikipedia site offering a brief history of it, (It spawned from SubSpace if anyone ever played that.) The page gives a good description of what the game is about, SSs, and current news information
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infantry_(computer_game)

http://www.station.sony.com/casualProduct.vm?Id=039

That is the offical site where you can download, ask questions etc.



Keep in mind if you decide to play that the people that do play are pretty much all long time veterans with years behind them, so don't get discouraged and don't act like a noob. The core players now have played since I started back about 6 years ago. It is a very very good game, the only reason I don't play more is because of time and the lack of the old zones I used to love like fleet. You know it is good because despite the years going by, the hackers, and the pay to play era, people STILL come back to the game and still enjoy it.

User avatar
KT_Cobra
Member
Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:11 pm

Post by KT_Cobra » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:32 pm

Here's one that's very fun but with a learning curve. However, once you start to learn it, the rewards are outstanding.

http://www.samugames.com/artifact/

***READ ON!***

It's free to play, but you only get a certain amount of time each day. You have the option to pay and upgrade to a membership status which allows you more time. When you log off, your account's time increases little by little each minute.

In Artifact, you build your kingdom and military in hopes that your population increases (which it will if you provide enough farms and workers in those farms on the correct terrain). After a set amount of time, the "artifacts" are release and if you claim one it will give you a reward while you possess it. Example: water artifact will give you more crops which will help your population grow faster than normal, fire artifact will give you an attack bonus, earth artifact will give your walls and facilities more defense when being attacked, etc.

***I warn you! This game can be sooo addictive that it can RUIN your life. One of the main reasons is because once you log out of a game, your kingdom is still there. Still there for others to raid if they see fit and you didn't provide a big enough defense before logging off (I suggest making alliances in each game). I have a wife and therefore told myself while playing this game, "It's taking up too much of my time and attention. I need to stop playing." When I was in high school, I regretted playing because my grades dropped due to staying up late and waking up early to take care of my kingdom.***
Best board game ever! Remember Hero Quest?

User avatar
Guated
Member
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:22 pm

Post by Guated » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:00 pm

Completely free games(but have sorcery). I favor them for casual playing once in a while

SilkRoad is a grind fest.

Dungeon runners another grind fest, but lots of items. There's a pay option for the membership items, but it's just as fun with out those.

User avatar
Luukmans
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:57 pm

Post by Luukmans » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:09 pm

fps : Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory

mmorpg : swordofthenewworld, Rakion, Rappelz, KnightOnline + another 1000

Hack 'n Slash : Gunz

Racing : Drift City
Total Annihilaton
Metal Fatigue
One Must Fall 2097
Cannon Fodder
Doom
Wolfenstein

User avatar
greencosmos
Expert
Expert
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:21 am
Location: Finland

Post by greencosmos » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:29 am

Wings 2 (that's Finnish, and could be recommended just because of that)

User avatar
roblob
Member
Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:37 pm

Post by roblob » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:28 am

Wings 2 is a great game. I love it.

If you like strategy games you could try Battlemaster (http://www.battlemaster.org). It's not very easy to get into, but the community is very active and the world has existed for ages so it has a pretty colorful history. All the betrayals and rebellions you can think of. =)

Another great strategy game is KDice (http://www.kdice.com), which is not so hard to get into but definitely addictive as heck. It's a simple, fast paced risk variant which seems perfect for online play.
Visit <a href="http://www.bestsellerbookshop.com">Bestseller Bookshop</a>

User avatar
Guated
Member
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:22 pm

Post by Guated » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:16 pm

i'm hoping these games don't have PVP. I'm gonna check out wings 2 myself

wings2 is PVP it seems. =/

I've found another one, i don't think it's PVP. I looks like Sim City 2000. I haven't played it yet, but a ton of people are.

http://www.openttd.org/index.php

User avatar
dosraider
Admin
Admin
Posts: 9243
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:06 pm
Location: ROTFLMAO in Belgium.

Post by dosraider » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:39 pm

It's a well known project about Transport Tycoon De Luxe.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/t ... oon-deluxe

About OpenTTD:
Notice
OpenTTD requires the original version of Transport Tycoon Deluxe data files in order to function. Please refer to the readme for more information.
If you don't have the original game it's hard to get it working.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.

Locked