I need MS-DOS

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
gerg_420

I need MS-DOS

Post by gerg_420 »

I have a laptop with Windows Vista on it.
I recently download warcraft 2... it won't work.
I think I need a program so I can run MS-DOS.
Can anyone recommend a program that might help me?
thanks greg
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

http://dosbox.sf.net

AFAIK, dosbox will work. Though your best bet would be to upgrade to XP or switch over to Linux.
abyss
Moloral Compass
Moloral Compass

Post by abyss »

You will be better off with freedos search for freedos and download it. One thing about freedos it will be your secondary os. If you want two different windows then you have to install freedos first then install the other windows.
<i>Formerly known as Hulk Hogan.</i>
franpa
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by franpa »

wardrich wrote:http://dosbox.sf.net

AFAIK, dosbox will work. Though your best bet would be to upgrade to XP or switch over to Linux.
you mean downgrade :P

and you can buy a windows compatible version from stores if you look.
Intel Core2 DUO e6750 @ 2.66GHZ
Asus P5KC Mother Board
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1
2 Gigabytes DDR2 800 RAM Dual Channel
500 Gigabytes SATA2 Hard Disk
Creative X-FI Extreme Music
BFG Geforce 8800gt 512mb PCI-E (OC1)
Thermaltake 750watt Toughpower Power Supply
Thermaltake Armor+ MX Case.

Click here to download 'Milo The Fuel Run'. [More Information.]
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

franpa wrote:
wardrich wrote:http://dosbox.sf.net

No Franpa, UPGRADE! :rolleyes:
<center>
abyss wrote:I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

wardrich wrote:AFAIK, dosbox will work.
It works, recently installed it on my son's laptop (AMD64 Turion with Vista), works fine.
Version 0.70 that is.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

franpa wrote:
wardrich wrote: AFAIK, dosbox will work. Though your best bet would be to upgrade to XP or switch over to Linux.
Pretty sure I mean upgrade. Look at how bad Vista is. The DRM, the incompatibility, the expenses of running a Windows system. XP is a definite upgrade. Seriously, I know of a few people now that are making the switch to Linux. I mean OpenGL2.1 is about on-par with DX9. And comparing the fact that both OGL and DirectX have been around for about the same amount of time, it's obvious that DirectX really isn't as wonderful as people make it out to be.

Anyway, that's enough ranting about Wintrash for now, and I know you, Franpa, were being sarcastic... I just needed to solidify my point for others that may not get it.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

wardrich wrote:
franpa wrote:
wardrich wrote: AFAIK, dosbox will work. Though your best bet would be to upgrade to XP or switch over to Linux.
Pretty sure I mean upgrade. Look at how bad Vista is. The DRM, the incompatibility, the expenses of running a Windows system. XP is a definite upgrade. Seriously, I know of a few people now that are making the switch to Linux. I mean OpenGL2.1 is about on-par with DX9. And comparing the fact that both OGL and DirectX have been around for about the same amount of time, it's obvious that DirectX really isn't as wonderful as people make it out to be.

If you want Vista for the pretty Eye Candy, it's got NOTHING on Beryl Project, which is slightly unstable... if you want Stability and a UI that's both inventive and useful, you could always use Metisse. It's like a lighter version of Beryl, and MUCH more stable.

Anyway, that's enough ranting about Wintrash for now, and I know you, Franpa, were being sarcastic... I just needed to solidify my point for others that may not get it.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

wardrich wrote:If you want Vista for the pretty Eye Candy ....
And a fact is ( my son is a Vista user) that eye candy is the only thing that makes it worth switching to Vista, the regular Vista is a ressource eating monster.

In my experience the only Vista that's worth something is the ripped version, the so called gamers Vista, fast, stable and running plain 64 bit, but of course stripped from all those eye fillers. And illegal, hmmmm. Runs better and is much faster than XPsp2.

Of course problem is that the newer programs will only run in Vista in time.
Say shit, buy a new PC with 2cores and plenty of Ram if you want something that runs fast. And I mean PLENTY of Ram. PLENTY.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

dosraider wrote:
wardrich wrote:If you want Vista for the pretty Eye Candy ....
And a fact is ( my son is a Vista user) that eye candy is the only thing that makes it worth switching to Vista, the regular Vista is a ressource eating monster.

In my experience the only Vista that's worth something is the ripped version, the so called gamers Vista, fast, stable and running plain 64 bit, but of course stripped from all those eye fillers. And illegal, hmmmm. Runs better and is much faster than XPsp2.

Of course problem is that the newer programs will only run in Vista in time.
Say shit, buy a new PC with 2cores and plenty of Ram if you want something that runs fast. And I mean PLENTY of Ram. PLENTY.
Linux or GTFO. That's the way it should be when considering the Vista downgrade.
franpa
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by franpa »

downgrading from vista to winXP is going from inferior to superior, or better yet, i could upgrade to vista which is inferior to winXP.
Intel Core2 DUO e6750 @ 2.66GHZ
Asus P5KC Mother Board
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1
2 Gigabytes DDR2 800 RAM Dual Channel
500 Gigabytes SATA2 Hard Disk
Creative X-FI Extreme Music
BFG Geforce 8800gt 512mb PCI-E (OC1)
Thermaltake 750watt Toughpower Power Supply
Thermaltake Armor+ MX Case.

Click here to download 'Milo The Fuel Run'. [More Information.]
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

franpa wrote:downgrading from vista to winXP is going from inferior to superior, or better yet, i could upgrade to vista which is inferior to winXP.
The "Vista downgrade" being the installation of Vista.
redshock

Post by redshock »

Microsoft removed the 16-bit subsystem from Vista and yet provided no emulator - breaking hundreds of legacy applications and games. I have played games with DosBox 0.71 on Vista before I downgraded back to XP Pro. But yeah, if you have Vista, you are stuck with DosBox. My hope is that DosBox will provide direct execution from the EXE one day, and I have contacted them about this thought. The idea is to make it more streamlined for Vista users - almost like a java runtime. You just have to execute the application and the runtime does all the work.
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

Er, yeah. Anyway, next time, please don't revive old(this one's 2 months for the love of Link) threads, kay?
<center>
abyss wrote:I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)