Chasm: The Rift Review

Add your own reviews of games here.
Aldeb
Expert
Expert

Chasm: The Rift Review

Post by Aldeb »

At a time when a 3D card would set you back a whopping 150$ at best, running action games that looked decent but didn’t require 3D acceleration seemed like a logical choice. To this end we have Chasm, also known as the ‘Poor Man’s Quake’ for its uncanny resemblance to its source material. Look hard enough and you can also find some hints of Powerslave and Skynet thrown in there as well.

This game’s essentially a run-and-gun action frenzy through several thematically-distinct worlds, where you blast aliens, fetch key card, open doors, then blast some more aliens. Some nonsense about time travel and inter-dimensional monsters offers the perfect excuse for these sudden changes of scenery, and the variety is well worth going through. You start off within an industrial setting that’s somewhat reminiscent to Quake, then move to Egypt, then to Medieval Europe, then to a sci-fi world. All of these locations have their own gamut of thematic monsters and weapons, and each setting features an end boss. All of the monsters, items and weapons are poly-based, texture-mapped 3D models, making Chasm one of the better looking non-3D accelerated games available at the time (albeit bearing a very familiar dark-brown color palette).

The characters, in particular, look good enough for close-up briefing sequences (complete with lip synchronization… sort of). Enemies come in various shapes and sizes. The initial blend of industrial and sci-fi levels will have you face predictable gun-totting robots and jetpacking sentries. Later Egyptian and medieval themes will have undead zombies, axe-wielding executioners, vikings and many other assorted mutants gracing the screen, their tally numbering fifteen types in total.

[...]

Although fundamentally flawed, this Ukrainian import shooter isn’t without its moments, however sparse.
Last edited by Aldeb on Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Re: Chasm: The Rift Review

Post by MrFlibble »

Aldeb wrote:My review of the game http://www.oldpcgaming.net/chasm-the-rift-review/
I didn't realize that it was your site. I'm a bit confused by the fact that you have both links for buying games, and what seem like full version downloads (even if a game is still sold)..?
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

God, Jesus Christ, is number one!hehe

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Jesus Christ!hehe

That is funny there is a crucifix (at least it looks similar to the ones my family have - we are Catholics) on the wall of Jesus Christ. It is a tragedy that one man had to die for all human beings to be saved from the powers of the evil one. However now we all have a good life because of this one man name Jesus Christ who God sent to save the entire world of people!
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Then please bless my mom.
Honour to my mom Huong Thi Vu
Honour to my dad Thuy Binh Nguyen
Love to cousin Carl Anh Cuong Cao Vu
Thank you Jesus Christ.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

This is from an episode which takes place in Medieval Europe. I don't know if the developers used some authentic photographs for textures though.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

I don't know. However, in the original Quake, there is also crucified people.

In one of the levels of Quake, I think the hardest one, crucified people.

In the Quake version the people were on the walls moving.

They were on the cross.
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Then please bless my mom.
Honour to my mom Huong Thi Vu
Honour to my dad Thuy Binh Nguyen
Love to cousin Carl Anh Cuong Cao Vu
Thank you Jesus Christ.
Aldeb
Expert
Expert

Re: Chasm: The Rift Review

Post by Aldeb »

MrFlibble wrote:
Aldeb wrote:My review of the game http://www.oldpcgaming.net/chasm-the-rift-review/
I didn't realize that it was your site. I'm a bit confused by the fact that you have both links for buying games, and what seem like full version downloads (even if a game is still sold)..?
Late reply. Removed the link. I do offer free download links to old games, although i'm not the one uploading them.
Certified 16-bit Troll