Carmageddon review

Add your own reviews of games here.
Aldeb
Expert
Expert

Carmageddon review

Post by Aldeb »

Carmageddon is a sort of 3D death race where you earn money by causing death and destruction, including running over helpless pedestrians fleeing in panic. It's the self described driving game 'for the chemically imbalanced'. Unless i'm mistaken, Carma is the most demanding DOS game from a sheer technical standpoint. 3D car models with killer texture maps, gigantic race tracks that span for miles, real-time car damage, etc. makes running this under dosbox pretty demanding unless you have a fairly decent computer. A non-emulated gaming session will, naturally, require only a fraction of those resources for a steady framerate

Some of you might remember the controversy this game originally sparked, enough to have it censored in some countries (eg: germany replaced pedestrians with zombies that spill green blood, Australia banned it altogether i think). What's funny is how said controversy quickly died down. The original Carmageddon has since been ported to numerous consoles, including the kiddy-oriented game boy color

8/10

dosraider
Admin
Admin

Re: Carmageddon review

Post by dosraider »

Not to be nitpicking but but but
Aldeb wrote:.... Carma is the most demanding DOS game from a sheer technical standpoint.
...dunno, at least a bold statement! :slap:

Quake in high res?
Redneck Rampage (can be cranked up to 1600x1200....)
Armored fist 2 is also putting a strain on ol'hardware ...

and a lot more .....
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Aldeb
Expert
Expert

Post by Aldeb »

Could be. I guess its safe to say it's one of the most demanding dos games ever. I didn't do any controlled tests or anything, but carma was the only game in Dosbox that killed my low tech Dual Core 2Ghz / 2 GB DDR2 RAM / WinXP computer, both in software and hardware mode.
Certified 16-bit Troll
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Aldeb wrote:.. in Dosbox ...
Ah my good man, but dosbox is not dos.
I can agree that it strains dosbox to the extreme, but not dos.
Good dos hardware can handle carma without any problem.
Maybe next time be a bit more precise ?

As for dosbox, could run carma without much troubles, sluggish on my older XP, but pretty fluid on my newer Win7.
Some tips that can be helpful to run it n dosbox:
http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?sho ... 3&letter=C
Also keep in mind that killing as most as possible background services/running programs is needed, dosbox needs every CPU click to be able to run such games.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.