ShellShock-Vietnam '67 [old review found]

Add your own reviews of games here.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

ShellShock-Vietnam '67 [old review found]

Post by dosraider »

A review I wrote some time ago for a defunct French AW site, Thought I could post those ol'things here.

Shellshock: Nam '67 PC release

==========================
Published By: Eidos GmbH
Developed By: Guerrilla Games
Platform: Windows, Also PlayStation 2, Xbox
Released: 03.09.2004
Minimum system requirements:
P3 1Ghz
PC: W2K / XP
256 RAM
DX 8.1
3D videocard 32 Mb
DVD player
3 G free HD space
Recommended system requirements:
P4 2.4 Ghz
512 MB RAM
DX9
D3D videocard 64 Mb
PEGI : +18
============================

The whole story in short: The Vietnam War, shaped in a crap game.
It is simply said an arcade shoot'em'up with some idiotic tactical missions.

The good:
Zoom function, binoculars.
Some explosions effect.
Some (far from all) cutscenes.
Graphics can be cranked up to 1600x1200.
With a bit luck this game is findable in the bargain bin for less than 1€.
End 'The good'

The bad:
I wonder why they seem obliged to release all those typical console games on the PC platform. This is fully a console game, not a PC game as I expect what and how a PC game must be.
What's wrong with it you ask?
For starters: third person view, that sucks.
I can shoot my companions with all I want, any heavy gear, no more reaction than a 'stop it', they don't go down, no hurt done, pfffffffffff, I see some blood drops, and they survive even the heaviest attacks from me.
Also the saving system they applied, when you die (IF you die), you are taken back towards the last checkpoint, no intermediate savings allowed, sucks big. HEY YOU …. Yes you, calling themselves developers, I have a (in fact even two) harddisks in my PC, this console like saving and checkpoints aren't suited for PC gaming. No save game slots, only a continue game when you restart this game, a continue from the last autosaved checkpoint. Sucks.
This game is certainly too easy, all by all I believe I haven't die more than 4 times throughout this whole game. You regenerate your health, you heal as by wonder, stay in the background while your fellow grunts do the fighting, takes some 10 / 30 seconds and you are brand-new.
Too short, taken me less then 5 hours to finish this game, no need to waste a DVD on this.
Too less missions, some 13, takes between 10 to 30 minutes maximum each.
The missions are repetitive, it's a pure arcade hall shooter. Several missions are mainly only composed of slaughtering wave after wave attacking Vietcong.
The Vietcong AI is worthless, really worthless, they must all be kamikazes.
Your companions are almost indestructible, only in some predefined scenario shemes they can get hurt or been killed.
You can't carry enough weapons / munitions, 4 loaders for a machinegun? Ridiculous amount. Find yourself an AK47 as soon as possible in every mission, plenty ammo for those on the dead Vietcong.
The C4 explosives are only usable on allowed spots.
The booby traps are absurd.
You can't scout freely on the gamemaps, you are on a leash, go too far away and you are called back, ignore the call and the mission is a failure.
Between missions you can sightseeing the base camp, doing some complete useless and ridicule weapons training or visit the prostitutes if you gathered enough items. No explicit sex scenes. Blood and guts as many as you want, even some explicit bloody torture cutscenes, but sex? Oh No, we would be shocked, would we?
Everytime you visit to those ladies you recive an extra semi-nude picture of one of them, big deal.
Story? What story? Where story?
Multiplayer? Nope, nothing, nada. A game released in 2004, a shooter, and no multiplayer mode.
The multiplayer mode , DM or COOP, would probably been the best game mode, because the single player is utterly crap.
Graphics are average, not up-to-date for 2004.
No jumping key assign, jumping seems to be forbidden in the jungle.
Are they for real at Guerrilla Games and Eidos?
A boring game and I am bored writing about this crappy game.
END 'The Bad'.

Gameplay : C-
Graphics : B-[/]
Story : E
Multiplayer : None F

To conclude:
Crap.

wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.